Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,I'm the new guy here, just registered this morning.I've done trap a few times and have just rejoined a local club to continue with the sport. I currently shoot a Mossberg 500, and while this works, I'm kinda-sorta in the market for a new gun. While I'd love an O/U, I'm simply not willing to dump >$1K into a gun at this point, and at the urging of several friends, am foregoing the cheap eastern European O/Us that have become available (EAA, Baikal, etc). As a matter of fact, I'm pretty well convinced I want to go with a Remington 1100 semi. (Of course, that used SKB 20ga pump I saw yesterday for $175 didn't look too bad, but I digress...)My question for this august group is, should I stick with 12ga, or lighten up and go for a 20? The 12 can pound the heck out of my shoulder, and I'm usually not up for more than a couple of rounds of trap (or about a box worth of shells) before I have to pack it in. I'm willing to experiment with loads; I've been using mostly 7 shot with the Mossberg, and just bought some 9 shot to see if that helps. I'm also leaning toward the semi auto, since I understand the gas system absorbs some of the recoil. But what about dropping down to 20ga? I'm thinking the decrease in kick could make it downright pleasant to shoot. Would I be giving up too much in pattern or power at the other end?Comments, please!-- Sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a browning gold sporting clays edition, another gas operated auto, and during the practices for our highschool team I could shoot three or four hundred a night. I would stick with the 12 and find the load that works for you. Maybe try 1 oz loads instead of 1 1/8 loads.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A couple of things to consider...A 20 gauge will not necessarily kick less than a 12 gauge.When shooting trap you have to consider that you may have a shooter in the line of fire of your spent hulls when using an autoloader.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I were you I would stick with a 12 Gauge.If you get a semi auto they don`t kick as much as your pump.I use a semi and I shoot at least a hundred rounds each time and my shoulder feels fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can shoot a case of shells ( 3 Dram 1 1/8o z ) in an afternoon with my 12ga SKB gas auto.20ga is too much of a handicap @ trap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would stick with the 12. When you get a trap model of anything, if it fits you, the perceived recoil should be less. If you get an auto, the actual recoil will be less. I can't shoot a field grade gun for 100 rounds without discomfort, at least anything that I've tried over the years. I attribute this to a shorter length of pull and much different angle of the comb. The Remington 1100 would be a good choice as a 1st trap gun for a budget conscious shooter. There are a lot of people out there that use an 1100 after years of shooting. My personal preference is break-open singles or O/U's, but that's just me.Also, if you reload, 12 ga. components are much more readily available and in a wider variety because more people shoot 12's. Same goes for target shells if you don't reload. Anyway, these are all just my opinions, FWIW. I don't want to start any discussion wars about my gun is better than your gun, etc. I never met a trap gun I didn't like, just some I liked better. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, folks.While I'd love to get an O/U they're generally more than I can spend. I've gotten mixed feedback on the low end O/Us like the Baikals and EAAs (< $500 guns, new), and I'm just not in the position to plunk down over $1K for a Red Label, (or more for a) Browning, etc. I just can't get over the idea that there's a reason most O/Us are over a grand, and the EAAs are so cheap. On the other hand, I may be missing out on one of the great bargains. Who knows?I'm looking at the 1100 mainly because a) it's gas/semi and will have the attendant recoil reduction, and b) it's a proven performer, neither of which I can say for the cheaper O/Us. At least at this point I do think I'm gonna stick with 12ga. Thanks again, and keep those replies coming if you've got something that might help my search!-- Sam

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the replies, folks.While I'd love to get an O/U they're generally more than I can spend. I've gotten mixed feedback on the low end O/Us like the Baikals and EAAs (< $500 guns, new), and I'm just not in the position to plunk down over $1K for a Red Label, (or more for a) Browning, etc. I just can't get over the idea that there's a reason most O/Us are over a grand, and the EAAs are so cheap. On the other hand, I may be missing out on one of the great bargains. Who knows?I'm looking at the 1100 mainly because a) it's gas/semi and will have the attendant recoil reduction, and b) it's a proven performer, neither of which I can say for the cheaper O/Us. At least at this point I do think I'm gonna stick with 12ga. Thanks again, and keep those replies coming if you've got something that might help my search!-- Sam
Orrrrrr…Think about a Tristan G2 Viper. Soft shooting. VERY easy to clean and maintain (which is why I bought one). Look very nice and for me fit extremely well. Lots of nice things said about these guns in a lot of the categories here. I have a 20 gauge but am looking at the 12 gauge Sporting. Red Cerakote on black, 30” barrel, enlarged bolt handle and bolt release. Very sharp looking shotgun in my opinion. And that’s coming from someone who has been an 870 and vintage side by side guy all my life. Good luck with whatever route you go.

·
Registered
378 Posts
8 year's. By now decision should have been made.
I really like this new forum software, but this is the one aspect I hate. I've seen it wreck other online forums. Threads aren't auto-locked after a year or so, then newbies "helpfully" reply to a long dead topic. (And maybe even a long-dead correspondent!)

Half the problem is the lack of thread locking. Unless something is a sticky thread, there's no reason to have it still be active eight years later.

The other half of the problem is the useless Recommended Reading section at the bottom which just dredges up old topics for no good reason.

·
Registered
592 Posts
As far as I know, a 20 gauge will kick a lot less than a 12 gauge when the 20s are shot out of a tubed, 12 gauge shotgun. That is why a lot of skeet shooters shoot 20 gauge in 12 gauge events. BTW, I have a recoil reducer on my 12 gauge shotgun. I also added weight. It weighs about 9.5 pounds. To me, my gun has less recoil than the gas semis that I have shot.

(Just ordered a Falcon Strike recoil reducer for my new Trap gun.)

Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts