Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,825 Posts
You didn't mention hull, primer, wad, or payload-- but yes, you can find them on p.189 of Lyman's 5th Ed. as well as other sources. In addition to the Longshot you apparently do not want to use for an unspecified reason, Blue Dot is often used for 1-1/8 oz. payloads in three inch hulls.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
A load that I've used before is as follows:

Winchester HS AA hull
Winchester WAA or CB 1078-20 wad
Winchester 209 primer
18.6 Gr. Longshot
7/8 oz. #7 1/2 shot
1,300 -11,700 psi

That's the load from Hodgdon. Works well on sporting clays, but is a bit dirty.

-Ryan

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you dont mind me asking why dont you want to use LONGSHOT ?I went from bludot and find it far better.It is just one of the basic 1 oz lds. . I make 6s and 5s and ill tell you that 5 shot in the top full choke barrel of my citori really handles pheasants like a 12 ga (almost) but very impressing

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It dosent matter what hull. 2 3/4 or 3 in is ok to. 1 oz or more would be the best.I have fedaral 209a's and fiocchi 616's. I dont have a problem with longshot but ive never used it nor do i have any. Thanks nbd25

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I use nothing but Longshot and especially in heavy field loads.

GO to the powder manufacturer websites and look there thay have all the published recipees available.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
So, if you do not have any Longshot and have never used it, what do you have and what have you used? Blue Dot will probably work, but there are far better choices and Longshot is the best of them.

BP

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I use nothing but Longshot and especially in heavy field loads.----Chaco1
No kidding. Me too. If I had known that.........ha ha..... If I had known we shared the same religion........Hodgdon Longshot heh heh. oh well!

/

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
No there are other option but you need to research it. Either get the loading data book form Alliant and Hogdon, I prefer Hogdon or just go to their websites. Punch in your requirements, components etc and they will tell you what different options there are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.