Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I visited a gun shop and found a Stevens 311 12 gauge that took 3" shells. I think the barrels were 28". The serial # was 193,xxx and I think there may have been a "C" in front of the 193. The stock seemed solid, but had several light scratches here and there with the varnish missing. One of the screws in the trigger guard looked too large. It was marked $150. I doubt they will knock anything off...but I may get it out the door for $150 (they may pay my 6% sales tax). It seemed to be in very good condition...or at least good plus. Looking at the online auctions...this looks like a pretty good deal. I'm thinking about going back and picking it up tomorrow. Most likely I would refinish the stock. If I don't like it I imagine I could get my money back on Auction Arms or Gunbroker. What else should I look for on this side by side? I understand the barrel opener lever should not move to the left. Anything else to look for? Tight lock up? Is a little play acceptable? Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RATS!!! I went back to pick up the 311 this morning and it was gone! It was told it sold around 8:30 last night. I had it in my hands at 6:30. I guess I just wait until I can get my hands on a 411.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tough luck. That was a good deal if it worked well and was still tight. Take along a pair of snap caps when shopping for used doubles. You can check out the triggers/hammers to get a little better feel for the gun. Keep looking though. There are a lot of 311's out there.

Sean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep looking! The 311 is a good solid shotgun. Had two go through me and both were good shooters and both went for more than $150. I actually like the double triggers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts