Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a good source for reloadable 16 ga hulls? New or shot once. If you have, I would appreciate it if you would enlighten me. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have only found one source for 16 gauge hulls on the net, http://www.precisionreloading.com has the remington 2 3/4 16 gauge hull at $10.00 per hundred. There may well be others out there, but I haven't run across them yet. Wish you luck---AFG

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch, sounds like it maybe cheaper to buy new shells, shoot them and then reload. I'll check it out. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ballistic products sells new Fiocchi hulls at 5.99 per 100. Cheddite as well. They both are a nice hull for reloading. I am hearing that Remington may be coming out with 16 gauge STS shells for 2004? That would be great since they are again making 16 shotguns in the 870 and 1100.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woohoo :!: Looks like the 16 ga is staging a small come back.
I've got three. The cost of feeding them has gotten a little steep. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The best new 16 ga. hulls I have found are sold by Ballistic Products.....Fiocchi - new - primed - $8.99 per hundred. These are high brass and crimp well with folded or rolled crimp.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, It looks like I'll br needing some load data for the Fiocchi hulls. I've got lots of SP16 wads, none of my books use them in those hulls. :( Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you use the Rem wads you will most likely need to add filler if shooting 1 oz loads or less. I like the BP SG16 wad or the B and P wad sold by BP as well. The B and P wad will throw a tighter pattern if that is what you want. There are many good recipes using the Fiocchi hull and these wads, I have tons of good dats for the 16. I recommend The 16 Gauge Manual sold by BP.

G

·
If you have a repeater don't even think about Fiochi hulls. Also, they won't hold primers when you reload them. They are really as close to junk as anything I've tried.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your input. I have an old SXS double that I want some dove loads for. I'm thinking 1 oz of no 8 shot at about 1225 fps. I want the pressure as low as I can get it. The double is ok with modern powder but is 93 years old. I also have a 1960 Browning Sweet 16, but I usally shoot heaver 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz loads in it. Do you fully resize the brass on your shells when you reload?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I can in no way agree with the post that Fiocchi hulls are junk. First of all, Fiocchi primers are slighty larger in diameter than most American primers and best loaded with Fio 615 (standard) or Fio 616 (mag) primers. Fiocchi primers are also excellent on other hulls that have been loaded a few times. The Fio 616 is the same as the well known Alcan Max-Fire primer of the past and is the best primer we have found for slow burn powders in cold weather. We have used, and still use, Fiocchi hullls , new and primed, for the development of all specialized long range loads.
Best Regards, James

G

·
I became a 16 ga convert this past year. Here are some of my experiences with this gauge. Fiocchi ammo and hulls are good. Federal game loads shoot well also. I have bought 3 cases of Fiocchi 1 oz. loads from www.grafs.com at $49.99 per case and a $5.00 shipping fee per order. I have also bought Federal game loads 1 oz (1165fps) at $3.99 per box from the local Academy sports.

I bought a case of 5000 Gualandi wads from Grafs for $65.00 and have good luck loading them. This is the same wad as the Ballastic Products SG16 except BP repackages them at a higher price. BP has a 16gauage mannual that is a good book and worth the money.

My favorite load so far is 18.3 gr of Unique, Fiocchi hull, winchester 209 primer and gualandi 1 oz wad and 7/8 oz shot,
It shots well on the skeet range.

Snakeoil Willie, Frontier Pharmacist- aka Bill Puryear

G

·
Hey Snakeoil, where did you get the data for that 7/8 os load with the Fiocchi huls? I've been loading my own 7/8 oz 16 gauge loads with the Remington hull. The Gualandi wad it a little bit too snug in this hull. It works, but you crush a few when inserting the wad. Your load sounds like a good one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you resort to using Remington SP (black) 16 gauge hulls, an excellent spreader load for tight choked guns is 18.5gr Universal Clays, Remington SP16 wad, Win 209 primers, 1 oz #8 shot, an xstream spreader insert pushed into the shot, and an over shot card. This gives a low pressure, 1165 fps load.

This combination gives new life to older guns and allows the reloader to use easily found hulls.

G

·
I had to laugh when I looked back at this threas and found myself asking someone named "Snakeoil" about 16 gauge data. You know it's getting tough to get good light 16 gauge loads when your on the internet asking a guy named Snakeoil for help! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the Guest who is wondering about Snakeoil Willie.

I am a Pharmacist in Austin Texas and got involved with cowboy action shooting. As many of you know in CAS, people assume an alias of a real or mythical character, so I looked for something pharmaceutical. The old patent medicine salesmen of the old west were know in slang terms as snake oil salesmen, so hence the alais "Snakeoil Willie" came to be.

After all, if the Dentist can have Dr. Holladay(OK Corral fame)representing their profession, us pharmacist at least deserve a mythical character.

I've had a lot of fun with the alais. If anyone wants to talk 16 ga loading then e-mail at [email protected]

Snakeoil Willie, Purveyor of Fine Potents for Whatever ails yer. Grow hair, improve yer love life, cure constipation etc.....

aka Bill Puryear

1 - 20 of 32 Posts