Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
I have only ever seen two receiver sizes on any Remington repeaters since the 11-48. The standard and the 28/410, which was also adopted for the 1100/11-87 lightweight 20. I believe someone said they have three different sized ones. I am not trying to insult anyone or start anything. I will only repeat, I have only seen two sizes.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have all 5 gauges of the 11-48. There are three frame sizes: 12 ga./ 16-20 ga. and 28-.410. You could say the 16 is built on the 20 ga. frame or turn it around and say the 20 is built on the 16 frame.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I have seen a decent looking 16 gauge 11-48 for $300 and was thinking about buying it, but want a true 16, not a 12 with a 16 bore barrel screwed on. You must like them, remroc1, since you have one in every gauge. Please tell me about them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
lossking- They are all vent rib and skeet choke except the 16. Anybody have a skeet choke 16 barrel they will part with?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
lossking

I have one in 20 and 28 ga. both are good solid guns that have shot thousands of rounds of every brand of ammo including reloads without issue. I bought the 20 ga. for youth shooting programs and it has been the initial shotgun for many new shooters quite often shooting two flats a day. The kids love it as recoil is a non issue for them. The 28 ga. mfg.1955 came from a private collection in 99.9% condition I was just lucky being in the right place at the right time. It is my favorate "fun gun" for shooting clays.

Your find is priced right for a 16 ga. in good condition, enjoy it they are great old guns.

TM

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The 11-48 16 gauge is on the same frame as the 20 gauge. Definitely not a 12-gauge frame with a 16-gauge barrel stuck on it.

Sort of wish Remington had done this with the 1100.

Dan

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have 3 of them a 11-48 and 2 48 Sportsmans. Lucky that each have a different choked barrel and as they interchange they make for a great hunting guns.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Stewart said:
They weigh less, kick less and are better balanced than their later gas auto counterparts (and don't spit the hulls 20 feet).
Huh? My 16-gauge Sportsman 48 certainly can throw them 20 feet, depending on the load. It also kicks more than any of the 1100s I own. Not terribly more, but it is not as soft shooting as the gas Remingtons.

I do like it for upland hunting since it's a bit lighter than the gas guns and therefore easier to tote.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts