Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for your patience. I guess I was not even asking a do-able question. Here I go again.... I would like a 16 gauge O/U with 28/30 inch barrels, screw chokes, under 7 pounds. Does that work any better? Oops: under $1500. Thanks. :?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
With a 28" barrel and no trigger preference, the Browning would seem to fit the bill except that it may be right at the edge of your budget. Some shops might want more than 1500, but you might find one just under. I think the one I have seen was marked at 1449.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Browning does not show the gun I was referring to on their wesite, but the 12ga version is under 7 lbs.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Gary O--

IMHO if a Browning is satisfactory to you--you should go for this one--the one on GunBroker.com identified by Mapleleaf!

I really do not think you will find an "American" O/U with double triggers at any price. New 16 ga O/U are somewhat rare and have become somewhat popular and pricy. Hoping for something under 6.5 lbs is iffy at best.

So, my recommendation is to go for this one--or be prepared to spend 2X to 3X that much for all the bells and whisles--ie: double triggers, very light and bbl length of choice.

The real driver here is the $1500 budget!

Go for it and enjoy it! If you do, you owe Mapleleaf a beer!

G

·
I have been doing some research on the Browning 16 gauges. They had a very limited run of 16 gauges in 2002 (Superlight was one of the models in a 16 ga) In 2003, they ran a batch in April and July (2000 total units) and were available in the Lightning, Lightning Gran, White Lightning, and Superlight Feather.
The Superlight from 2002 was built on a blue, steel receiver, weighing about 6.5 lbs with 26" barrels. The Superlight Feather for 2003 used an aluminum "silver" colored receiver and weighs about 6 to 6.2lbs
I just ordered a 2002 with 26" barrels, english stock,

I called Browning and got as much information as they had...which wasnt much. The runs were mainly for Bill Hicks (look up on the web for contact)

These are a limited production run of 16 gauge guns. All are fairly light, and would make a great grouse gun. Not to mention they would be pretty rare.

Anyone know of any more information on these limited 16 gauge guns please pass it along.

G

·
guest123 said:
I have been doing some research on the Browning 16 gauges. They had a very limited run of 16 gauges in 2002 (Superlight was one of the models in a 16 ga) In 2003, they ran a batch in April and July (2000 total units) and were available in the Lightning, Lightning Gran, White Lightning, and Superlight Feather.
The Superlight from 2002 was built on a blue, steel receiver, weighing about 6.5 lbs with 26" barrels. The Superlight Feather for 2003 used an aluminum "silver" colored receiver and weighs about 6 to 6.2lbs

I called Browning and got as much information as they had...which wasnt much. The runs were mainly for Bill Hicks (look up on the web for contact)

These are a limited production run of 16 gauge guns. All are fairly light, and would make a great grouse gun. Not to mention they would be pretty rare.

Anyone know of any more information on these limited 16 gauge guns please pass it along

I just ordered my husband the 24" English stock for x-mas. I couldn't find a 26". All of his other Citori's are 24" so maybe this will work. I should get it end of this week....[/i]

G

·
You can get a new 2004 (i think) Citori Grade VI 16 ga @3500.00 - just FYI.

guest123 said:

Anyone know of any more information on these limited 16 gauge guns please pass it along.

G

·
Cabela's has some 28" superlights left @ $1598 through the gunroom program. The length of pull, drop at comb and heel, and cast are the same as the lightning model and the weight is the same give or take a 1/2 ounce (a tad lighter than the 20 ga.citori---same basic frame). Either will do anything for the upland hunter that any 12 thru 28 would do from 3/4 oz. handloads to 1-1/4 oz express loads. That may be the reason why the american gun companies have been trying to kill the 16 for 50 years now. An old wise yankee trader once told me that anyone who didn't see the advantages of a lightly built 16 ga double didn't deserve to own one. The citori o/u is such a gun. good luck in finding one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After being in the "market" for a 16ga. on a REAL 16 frame, I have noticed many people are as well. I can't figure why major gun makers i.e. browning, benelli, ruger, want mass produce a 16ga. again. Remington, produces one, however on a 12 ga. frame.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Pleasant Ridge said:
I can't figure why major gun makers i.e. browning, benelli, ruger, want mass produce a 16ga. again.
Because they won't sell enough of then to make it worthwhile!

Scott

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Winders = 16 gauge hater. LOL :lol:

I've been looking at a 16ga White Lightning and I think it's a sweet gun.

If you want a cheaper model SIDExSIDE, Stevens made a double trigger 16ga that you should be able to find relatively easy. It is a bit heavy though. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Citori Feather at right around 6 lbs. with 28" barrels. I really wanted the 26" but at the price of $1425 NIB, I figured I could handle 2 more inches of barrel.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Some of these guns are still available through the Gunsamerica or Gunbroker websites. I also saw a bunch on the Carolina Sporting Arms website. Good luck.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My Rizinni FAIR 16 weighs around 6 1/2 lbs. with 30 inch barrels and just under 2 oz. lighter with the 28 inch barrels. I bought the 30" barrels last year and had to wait seven months to get them from Italy. Even though New England Arms (the importer) is now defunct, a few other stores were reselling them new. You can probably find a used one for around $1600. The Rizinni USA ones have better fit and finish but don't have removable chokes.

G

·
I saw a 16ga browning citori with removable chokes at the gander mountain in maplewood, mn. It was in good shape and well within your budget. Good luck!
BB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts