Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,787 Posts
Well....I can't hit the barn from the inside with a scattergun, so my opinion carries exceedingly limited value, but I could certainly live with anything between 6 1/2 to 7 1/4. More than that maybe, but it would have to be well balanced.

And, of course, are we talking a hunting gun? skeet gun? sporting clays gun? trap gun?

A lot would depend on how much time I was actually going to spend carrying the gun.

But generally speaking, I'd prefer it was under 7 1/4.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I've got four 16 ga's and I think they are all a little heavy for hunting and a little light for clay shooting. I guess that means they are about right for how I use them.
CZ Ringneck 28" 7# 10 3/4
CZ Bobwhite 26" 7# 2 1/2 oz
Stevens 311 28" 7# 3 3/4 oz
Fox BSE 28" 7# 5 3/4 oz

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Within reason, the lighter the better for a game gun. However, for me I don't shoot my 5 3/4 lb Beretta O/U nearly as well as my heavier guns. The Beretta is a great gun to carry all day, but I just don't seem to swing it as well and tend to stop my swing. My Browning BSS is a bit heavier and I shoot it much better even though they "fit the same"... I also shoot my CZ Bobwhite better, too. It is is fine shooting little 20 gauge! The little Beretta - even though it has tremendous sentimental value to me - sits in the cabinet most of the time because of this.

·
Registered
18,787 Posts
Hey Roger.....

Thanks for joining in! What 16s do you have? The more I read here on SGW, the more I wonder where the "experts" get the idea the 16 gauge is dying. Sure seems to be a lot of interest in it here. And I'm picking up my third this morning!

·
Registered
18,787 Posts
I have 2 DeHaan U1s. Actually that's not quite exactly true. I BOUGHT 2 DeHaan U1s in 16 gauge, but the one that came with pretty spectacular wood went to my Nephew on his 13th birthday for his first "own" gun.

The one I am picking up in about 3 hours is a DeHaan SGr 16 SxS in 16 gauge. Stay tuned, I'll be posting pics early this afternoon!

Roger.....Any chance we could get you to post pics of your Merkel 16 gauge? I bet she's a gorgeous gun!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
2fewdaysafield said:
The one I am picking up in about 3 hours is a DeHaan SGr 16 SxS in 16 gauge. Stay tuned, I'll be posting pics early this afternoon!

Roger.....Any chance we could get you to post pics of your Merkel 16 gauge? I bet she's a gorgeous gun!
Good luck with the new gun. Sounds terrific.
Yes, here's a few shots......

Here's my Merkel 1620 is next to my son's CZ Ringneck

·
Registered
18,787 Posts
Thats one GORGEOUS!!! gun! Thanks for sharing! Looks like she does good work for you too!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Roger!! Great to see you over here. Didn't you post my new Merkel photos for me on the old Merkel forum a year or 2 ago? We're glad to have you stop by and I hope you continue to, great bunch of guys here. Loved your photos, we need more of those on here.
Don

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
My 16 gauge spanish Antonio Gil SxS is 6 lbs 8.5 oz. and is one sweet lady. A 16 gauge SG is like properly aged wine, not everyone understands the value, those that do can't get enough.

·
Registered
18,787 Posts
leftieD....I think you said it all....Once you have experienced a 16....you can't get enough!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.