Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given :D a 16ga. Win. Model 12 still in it's original leg-o'-mutton case.
From it's serial#(237XXX) I'm guessing it's a relatively early one.
I'm curious how early.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your feelings might be mollified MarlandS by the fact I broke my right wrist the week before I received this munificent gift, so it will be 6 months before I can test my pet theory that 16 might just be the ideal ***** for sporting clays.
BTW, my gunsmith says it has been well used but not abused and is tight and fit in all respects.
He was unwilling though to to put a value on it, the stock has minor dings & scratches and the slip-on JOSTAM recoil pad is still pliable, none of the original blueing is left but there is no rust or pitting and the bore is bright & smooth.
The leg-o'-mutton case is in comparable shape, some scuffs & scratches.
I'm not going to sell it but my insurance agent wants to know.
Care to ballpark a figure?

·
Registered
285 Posts
You may want to call Wright's "The Model 12 Shop" in IL at (618) 357-8933 and ask them about the date of mfg. They specialize in M-12s and I know they have a book with all Win 12 serial numbers and date of mfg.

Value--not much with "well used, dings and scratches, no blue"
Is it a slick bbl or does it have a rib? Rib may add some value.

But offhand, maybe $200 or so.

I fight at least 4 times a year with my brother over long gone Dad's 16ga, slick bbl, 40% blue Model 12 over who will keep it for the next year. This gun was from about 1929 if I recall and of course has special meaning to the both of us. Perhaps the only reason I want him (Bro) to go before I do! :(

G

·
Being an early gun you should have the chamber checked as 16/20 gauge model 12s made before '27 had short chambers when they left the factory. In the condition you describe 200-225 for a plain barrel field grade gun is about right add 75 or so with a solid rib gun in the same condition. If that leg-o-mutton case is winchester marked it can be worth as much as the gun.....

G

·
Hi,

I looked up you gun and it is a 1912. Here is the web
site to go and find out about it. oldguns.net/sn__php/windateslookup.php.

thanks
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.