Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Let me pour out my thoughts like so many scrambled eggs, you guys cook em up.

Shows typical damage to stock, not sure if it is 2-9/16 chamber or 2-3/4, 28" bbl, not sure of choke, lever is past center, comes with 5-7 boxes of old ammo.

Couple of field days left in it or is it only a wall hanger?

Guy is local too.

I don't own any SxS just pumps and autos and O/U's. I know they have way too much drop, kick because of it and ammo is not cheap or abundant. I just like guns :oops:
I have other guns more expensive than this that just sit in the safe. Leaning towards getting it but :?
Has anyone restored one similar? Cost? Pics? Details? Links?

·
Registered
629 Posts
If the gun is on the face and the barrels are not pitted past usable it sounds as if you found a project. I don't know what you consider "typical" damage to the stock but in the event it needs to be replaced it isn't worth a professional stock maker. Order a replacement from Gunparts or a preturned blank from Gunstocks, Inc. A nice shooter should appear with out too much work. The chamber length can be determined by dating the gun by serial number or measured. I wouldn't bother. Chicken Little will be along soon to assure you a 2 3/4" shell will blow up the gun. Balderdash! My own 16 ga. Nitro Special was given to me 47 yr's ago and to my knowledge hasn't had a 2 9/16" shell in it since. Just keeps plugging along. Enjoy your new gun. It'll wean you from pumps and autos

'Lonzo

·
Registered
929 Posts
That looks like a good deal to me. Nitro 16's in high condition go for a lot more than that ($400-600) if all original. If the barrels are marked "2" and "4", then its modified and full.

I love old Nitro's. They are a little on the heavy side for a 16, but they are stout old workhorses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts