Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help. In a shop recently that had a 1925 Ithaca double for sale. Checked the serial and it is a 1925 Flues & NIG. Their price: about $600. It looks to me to be pretty tight, but the barrels look cut to me, as there is no bead and no place on the rib that shows where one might have been. Also, the bottom rib looks like it's been tapered with a file. The wood seems ok and the metal looks like it's been handled but not banged around.

With cut barrels but typical wear, is it worth anywhere near $600? I didn't even want to ask what his bottom dollar would be since I don't know if there is a price that makes this gun worth having. Oh, they're cut to about 28".

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
What gauge? What grade? Options? Electors? Single trigger? We need pictures.

P.S. It would only be a Flues with a 1925 serial number. The NIG, hammer gun, was dropped about 1914.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12ga, dt, extractors. I'll go back for the grade and see about pictures. Thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Eric - there are plenty of 12 ga Flues guns around - I would not pay $600 for any that you were not 100% sure of - and then it had better have a lot of condition. Ejectors, single triggers, etc - those options can change things, but it sounds like a plain Field gun. Check the choke markings on the barrel flats - probably at least one of the barrels is stamped "4" - Full choke. Then measure that barrel - if it mikes more than .705, it has been cut and it's a $400.00 gun - max.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After taking off the forend to remove the barrels, I discovered some rough repairs that had been done. It looked like a crack in the receiver had been filled in. I put the gun back together and left it. Thanks for the useful info though.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Just my opinion, but the Ithaca 12 gauge field double market is way down right now. Flues 12's in field grade you would be lucky to get 300-400 for one now. If it has issues hardly anyone wants them. As Nesto points out there's a lot of them out there. It's a buyers market right now for these. High condition 12's may have a market but it's hard to find them in high original condition. These were bought as tools and used as such. Lefever's and Western Arms are in the same boat.

I live right here in the heart of "Ithaca Country" and have worked a few shows over the last couple of years and talked with dealers and collectors. NID's may bring a little more but not much.

Graded guns and guns with options will command more money, but there's not as many of them and they better have high condition and some provenance if you want top dollar.

20's are what everyone wants now and they are bringing decent money. 28's, if you can find one, get ready to pay if you want one. 16's have remained steady but not bringing what the 20's command. 410s will always be pricey, but again the condition better be there. Lefever Nitro 410s and Western Arms do not command the prices/value of the NIDs or Flues era guns.

Original condition seems to be what's in demand. In the shows and auctions that I have attended and worked at if a gun has any issues people stay away from them like the plague. The value and price they would bring just drops off a cliff.

People can ask what they want for a gun. Doesn't mean it's going to move and the pool of buyers above say $2000 thins out quickly.

Same can really be said for the 37 market as well.

Just my observations. You were wise to put the gun back. Lots out there.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Matt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts