Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a 12 gauge from that year. I'm considering cutting the barrel down to make it a HD gun. It's got a polychoke on the end of it (which I'm not a fan of), and the price is very reasonable.

Before I do anything to it, am I cutting up something that should not be cut up? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, in terms of replacing barrels, I know there are certain barrels that are not interchangeable with models with S/N less than 855,000. How can I tell if a barrel is compatible with this 1941 gun?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Usually only barrels with serial numbers stamped on them will have the old style threads. Above serial number 855,000 they stopped stamping barrels with serial numbers because now they where interchangeable and no longer had to be kept married to the gun. Depending how close another barrel is to your gun in terms of head space will determine as to weather or not it can be fitted for your gun. Keep in mind that Ithaca did offer new guns with poly chokes installed.

·
Registered
Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter Compact
509 Posts
Do what you want, but cutting the barrel like you suggest is one of the reasons classic Ithacas keep going up in value- people destroying nice shotguns with hack saws.

Given a reasonable value of around $500 now consider:
1. Polychokes may look funny, but they are period correct and they WORK. They really work. First, pattern that gun and see if in fact it's not a nice hunting American pump gun with hand checkered walnut and smooth as silk bottom ejecting action.

2. Mossberg's Maverick 88 has great reviews for what it is- sturdy, reliable, out of the box ready to go and you can get a new one for $200. Yes, new.

If you want to rebarrel, first you need an old "new" barrel of the same vintage- not the newer ones. Then it's hand fit so that when installed, the shell headspaces properly. I expect that with some luck, some drop right in. Others will need to be shortened such that the 1/4 turn of thread headspaces correctly. If the barrel is too short, it might become some creative lathe work. Too long, easy peasy. I have never done it. The cost of rebarreling I expect is about $500 or two and a half Maverick 88s.

You're going to ruin a nice collectable hunting shotgun, but it's your gun.

Reactions: Grouse Gunner

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'm wondering how much my 41 with Poly-Choke and Simmons rib will go up in price.
Like others have said use a Maverick, just check the local ad's for sales on inexpensive
guns.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Before long, your gun could be with a lot of money. That’s because the older Ithaca’s are getting harder to find. This model was first made in 1937, just 4 years before your gun was made. A good number of people right now would love me to own your gun as a collectors’ item and never shoot it. Everybody says, it’s your gun to do with as you please, and I certainly agree. Most of us, however, hate to see a gun like yours marred by cutting it down. But still, none of us want you to come to our house and tell us what to do, or not do, with our property.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of your replies.

OK, Plan B. No longer considering cutting it down. I understand this will soon be a collectors item. The gun is in need of refinishing and bluing - but especially the furniture needs refinishing. If I refinish it and have it reblued will that significantly lower the collector value of it?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have a first year 20 gauge, that was "reblued", and yes it looked bad very bad, blotchy color.
Yes I had it reblued and refinished the stock, now it looks great. I now enjoy the gun so much more
with the new finish. When showing the gun I always tell of the bad bluing and stock finish.
Have I lost money on it, I don't care, someone else can worry about what it's worth after I'm gone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Les @ Diamond Gunsmithing in NY is an expert in working on the Model 37. He fitted an old style barrel to an old style receiver for me very reasonably and with a reasonable turnaround. Highly recommend him for any work on the Model 37.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I received the gun today. I was led to believe that the furniture was in need of refinishing. I am not going to do a thing to this gun! Probably the best $299 I've ever spent.

Receiver and barrel serial numbers match (1941). Stock looks brand new; the butt plate doesn't fit it though (the butt plate is about 1/16" too small). The poly choke works very smoothly. The pump action is smooth, but tight. I'm going to put a new Ithaca Sunburst recoil pad on it

Watch Revolver Wood Musical instrument Metal

Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gas Gun accessory

Wood Tool Gas Bumper Auto part

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Gas

Trigger Wood Air gun Office equipment Shotgun

Wood Motor vehicle Shotgun Gas Bumper

Flowerpot Plant Wood Automotive tire Gas

Hand Leg Wood Textile Flooring

1 - 14 of 14 Posts