Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to the Browning and Remington 11 shotguns and the friction ring settings of those. I purchased this Sportsman 48 made in 1949. (UU) barrel code. This one is a 16 gauge. I know they went through a couple of changes but was this one? It has 2 steel looking rings and the friction ring. I am used to a brass compression piece that the friction ring goes around. Not on this one, and both silver rings are solid. Is this right?
Camera accessory Cylinder Auto part Nickel Font

Household hardware Coil spring Gas Cylinder Auto part

· Premium Member
Auto-5 & DblAuto
265 Posts
I am used to the Browning and Remington 11 shotguns and the friction ring settings of those. I purchased this Sportsman 48 made in 1949. (UU) barrel code. This one is a 16 gauge. I know they went through a couple of changes but was this one? It has 2 steel looking rings and the friction ring. I am used to a brass compression piece that the friction ring goes around. Not on this one, and both silver rings are solid. Is this right? View attachment 66086
View attachment 66087
That stamped ring reverses depending on whether you are shooting light or heavy loads. I keep mine set on light loads for normal trap/skeet ammo. Although the 11-48/Sportsman 48 was introduced in early 1949, my Sportsman 48 has a date code of Oct. 1948. It is my understanding that in the early '50s the reversible ring was done away with.
I used to have an 11-48 from 1953 that didn't have one. If you look on the Numrich website they do not show that ring. Anyway, I really like mine. The barrel is original to the receiver and it has a vented Poly-Choke. A lot of people don't like the Polys, that's why I think I got mine on the cheap.

Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Lens Automotive tire

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

· Premium Member
Auto-5 & DblAuto
265 Posts
After thinking about it, the small ring was made to sit against the spring and create a “base “ for the reversible ring to sit against. Is that correct?
I'm not an expert on the gun but that would be my guess. Maybe someone else that stumbles in on this can chime in.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

1 - 4 of 4 Posts