Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 1972 A-5 Light Twelve, 28" 18.4 fixed choke barrel, it was given to us after a family friend passed away and his family didn't want the gun and knew I had hunted with him a couple of times.

The bluing is just OK and the wood shows some signs of use. What would it be worth had he not etched his initials into the receiver?? Can this be polished out and re-blued???

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Smitty

·
Registered
962 Posts
resale value and value to you as having a great hunting gun are two different things. The intitals are pretty hard to overlook for most people looking to buy a used gun -- but it wouldn't really bother me to have a gun owned by a deceased hunting buddy with his initials on it.
Also your 'replacement' value is going to be much higher than your resale value on this gun.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Jeff Mull said:
Cant see enough to give a value without the initials but with them...it's worth about $200. That for the parts...

Jeff
This gun is a hell of a long ways from being a parts gun! :roll:

Smitty, The gun has a history that you are part of, leave the and use the gun as is and enjoy. Don't try to polish out the initials. That would cause more damage then the initials. They don't hurt the function of the gun and you who honor your friend by leaving them in place.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
A free A-5 is better than free beer. I'd leave it alone cosmetically, getting rid of that engraving and rebluing will be pricey.

Get a used barrel in whatever choke you like, or a cheapie with a polychoke, and you'll have a great shooter.

That's what I'd do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Dad gave me a 57 light twelve that an older gentleman on his mail route (he's a city mail carrier has been on the same route for 25 years) had sitting in the corner of his leaving room. My dad had also asked what his plans were for this. The gentleman also a retired postmaster from the same office told may father that when he was ready to sell it that he would be the first to know. Well he passed away three years ago. Being a small town word got around that this owner of this gun wanted it to go to my father after he died. The gentlemans lawyer hand delivered it to my father. My father then gave it to me and i will never let it go. I have a faint memory of meeting this man when I was younger. Now that I have the gun in my possession I will never let it go. Its old the bluing is worn down to the bare metal. Checkering is worn to smooth wood.
I love this gun. I know that he hunting more days with this gun than i have been alive. And to me its priceless for the fact my father gave it to me and it was givin to him. I could only wish that it had his intial. Use it. Honor the owner with hunting with is gun.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
The question was, what is the gun worth. I answered the question that was asked. No one else has.

I did not say it was only saleable as a parts gun. I declined to estimate a market price. IMO the market value cannot be established without a better look at the rest of the gun.

But I could at least approximate the minimum value based on what we can see. The reciever is a totally trashed. The wood looks well worn. So the value of the barrel is pretty well known, the wood is worth a few bucks and the internal parts are worth very little. And if you dont believe that try to sell a bunch of them. That sets the minimum value, the value of the parts.

Regards to personal value, it's stupid to ask strangers on the web what a gun should be worth on a personal basis and I dont think Smitty was asking for us to estimate the personal value. He knows what it's worth to him better than we do (And I realize that I'm being a hypocrate because I regulary preach about family/friends legacy guns :oops:) But hell, who of us can tell someone else what they should feel. Depending on the relationship of the original ownber to the new owner the nastiest gun in the world can be priceless. (my fathers gun is horrid but it would be the last one I'd sell)

Smitty did ask about the value, so he must have a reason, maybe he is considering selling it or just wants to insure that he has not exceeded the non taxable limits for gifts.

So why don't you guys try to give Smitty a real answer? What would you pay for it? Can you price it based on the picture? Based on the little bit you can see what is the baseline value?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Cowboy,

I'll try to be clearer next time!

I buy guns that are pretty clapped out and try to bring them back to life, so I'm not quick to pronounce a part "dead". I think my experiences support my opinion. Example:

I have a really wonderful Sweet Sixteen that some idiot engraved his social security number on the bottom tang. I spent an afternoon undoing the damage and you cant tell it was ever there, the engraving is intact and all. I got the gun 2 years ago in the high three hundreds because of the issue. Sweet barrels go for that. I got it at that price cause the seller could not move it on the internet. I had politely told him what it was worth and why and he eventually accepted my offer. The price really reflected salvage value because there were no buyers for whole guns that wanted on that was defaced.

This gun is far worse, it's a common 12 ga and the damage to the reciever is severe. Based on that picture there is no way that the hacked out set of initials is coming out without taking the engraving with it. If it went on the internet it may sell to someone who will use it, but the price will be a lot closer to salvage value.

It's a damn shame, I wish it were not true. And if I am wrong any one of you with a check book can prove it by making an offer on this gun.

Now, if the original owner was a dear friend of Smitty....Smitty wont care what the rest of us think it is worth, he'll never sell it, he'll use it and he'll be the only guy in the world that looks at those initials and relives great memories of a friend that is taking that long long dirt nap. And for him, it's priceless.

Or he can sell it for a couple of C notes and head for the nearest tig bitty bar.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff Mull said:
...Smitty did ask about the value, so he must have a reason, maybe he is considering selling it or just wants to insure that he has not exceeded the non taxable limits for gifts.

So why don't you guys try to give Smitty a real answer? What would you pay for it? Can you price it based on the picture? Based on the little bit you can see what is the baseline value?

Jeff
Jeff and everyone,

Thank you!! I have no intentions of selling the gun, I was just curious as to what the value would have been if he hadn't taken the vibra-pen to the receiver.

The gun shoots great, the wood is well worn, the bluing is OK, I'd say about 70-75%.

I'm glad that the initials can't be removed without more damage, it makes the decision of keeping them on the gun much easier...

Just wanted the gun to have a value to go along with the stories that we'll tell about what Charlie did to his shotgun...

Something like the story we tell of our "priceless violin":

When my dad was a little boy, he stepped on, and crushed the top of a very nice violin that had been in our family for generations. His father, after a trip to the woodshed, had the violin repaired and one of my sons still plays it to this day. We had it appraised after my father died in '86 and the appraiser said that if it hadn't been repaired it could have easily put all of my kids through med school.... In it's current condition the case and the bow were worth about $1000, the violin....well, keep playing it.

When one of my kids gets Charlie's shotgun (it will always be Charlie's), we'll tell them the story of "If Charlie hadn't etched his initials in the receiver, it would have been worth...."

Smitty

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Smitty,

Good for you. Through you and your kids Charlie may well become immortal.

You should write up a little note about him and how the gun came to you and put it and a picture of him under the buttplate, there is plenty of room.

That little time capsule will become part of the story.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
MD,

You got a good deal, your barrel is worth what you paid for the gun....if you parted it out. Your not out of synch with my feelings on the market value. There are hundreds of these for sale and no need to pay top dollar for one with a tatoo.

Almost all the value will be sentimental and it sounds like Smitty understands that.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeff Mull said:
...Almost all the value will be sentimental and it sounds like Smitty understands that...
Yeah, but that tig bitty bar sounds pretty tempting, too!! :twisted:

Trust me, Charlie would understand... given the choice of between a freezing day of hunting, like last weekend, and the former..he could go either way!!.....LOL :D :lol: :D :lol:

Smitty

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Initials can be a problem. However, my uncle and I had the same initials and two of the guns that he left me are initialed. That was great luck since one was made by james Purdy & Sons. I will have to find a guy to give it to that has the same initials to pass these guns to.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
A5guy,

I'd change my name if it would help get me into your will!

Smitty,

I seem to remember one of those tig bitty places on Route 7, south of New Milford....not that I've ever been on Route 7. :oops:

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Smitty in CT said:
Just wanted the gun to have a value to go along with the stories that we'll tell about what Charlie did to his shotgun...
I have a A5 light 12 my Grandfather bought new in 1953, and every nick, scratch, ding, and dent on it is a precious memory of hunts past... and that is worth more than any amount of money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts