Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to build my first HD shotgun and have a few questions. My base will be an older 870SP. What barrels do you guys use slug/rifled or cylinder fixed choke? What accessories do you find most useful/can't live with out. What stock and fore arm set up do you like the best and why. What are the best brand accessories out there and where is the best place to buy them.

Any other ideas about my first HD shotgun are also welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Fixed cylinder, 18.5", BIG bead sight with Tritium (either a Marbles or an XS Big Dot).

A weapon light is required equipment, but how you run it is your choice.

Everything else is gravy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
To my way of thinking the best Home Defense shotgun is a simple affair if it is to be exclusively for the HD role. In addition I think the best use of a HD shotgun is to be pointed at the door of the master bedroom while you and your family sit inside and wait for the cops. Any model and barrel will do in that situation and your favorite clays or hunting gun will be a bonus since you are already very familiar with its operation.

If however you have other needs then the options and accessories tend to multiply.

In my case I have decided to limit myself to only one shotgun. This gun will be the Home defense gun, the hurricane/riot peacekeeper, the ride along gun on my part time police gig AND the gun I campaign for three gun competition.

I chose the Remington 870 because of over 30 years of experience with it. I shoot it well, The manual of arms is second nature to me and it is the best gun to choose for aftermarket goodies if needed.

As a cop gun I have the basic 870 with 20 inch bead sight cylinder bore barrel. A Remington 3 shot magazine extension is attached and a TacStar side saddle for 6 more rounds on the gun. It has older wood furniture and a blue finish. A Pachmayr recoil pad boot was put over the plain plastic endpiece to help take a little edge off the recoil.

For home defense, this basic model is a bit more than I might need but I am still happy.

For hurricane/riot protection it is right on the money with a spare bandoleer in the closet with 55 extra shells of 00 buckshot. The "Pancho Villa" look has its benefits when a show of force is needed. :D

For competition I needed more. My 1100 Tactical and the Benelli M1 Super 90 were right up my ally but the ammo options were limited. The cheap stuff would not work. I wanted to shoot the gun I used in police work and home defense and that was the 870. I sold off the other two guns and added a heat shield and sling to the 870. I always though that heat shield was silly until you compete with it and try to reload in a hurry after 16 to 24 rounds have ALREADY gone down range. That sucker gets HOT!!! The sling comes in handy for transitions in the matches.

That is what I have and why.

This photo is before the sling was added:

Others have different needs and I am sure you will get much more information. The key is deciding what YOU need. The best way to do that is to start with what you have and see how it works. Then listen to us, keep what you like, ignore the rest and be happy. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i too am making a HD shotgun out of my 870. i chose the 870 because ive been using my dad's since i was 6 and am quite comfortable and familiar with it.

so far ive put 20" remchoke barrel on it (will also be using for hunting and wanted the versatility of the different chokes) and have a 3 shot tacstar magazine extension on it.

i plan on adding in the near future:
knoxx specops stock(i find i shoot better with a pistol grip and a short stock, but its personal preference)
some sort of light
red dot sight(mostly for hunting purposes)
a sling of some sort

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
Keep it simple and avoid all the high tech gimmics. An 18" to 20" barrel is fine. A mag extension is nice but not manditory. Lights are usefull but the good ones are expensive. Choke makes practically no difference at indoor ranges. Stay away from pistol grips. The ultimate accessory you can buy is a case of shells. Nothing can replace practice.

ES

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
If you are like me and live in the city and have kids, the light is a non-issue. We always leave a few on in the house so we can see where the toys are on the way to the john or to the kids' rooms.

A bad guy would have to be looking for a switch to make it necessary and I think I could pop him before he found them all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
soonerpgh said:
If you are like me and live in the city and have kids, the light is a non-issue. We always leave a few on in the house so we can see where the toys are on the way to the john or to the kids' rooms.

A bad guy would have to be looking for a switch to make it necessary and I think I could pop him before he found them all.
I don't have a light either, but what happens if there's a power failure or if your house power is disconnected?

·
Registered
719 Posts
but what happens if there's a power failure or if your house power is disconnected?
Use one of your flaslights? :wink:

I got them scattered around the house due to the `constant' power failures in Florida. :x

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Unless we have a shtf situation, the only time the juice goes off around here is in a heavy storm. Most theives, etc. are too lazy to be out playing boogy-man in that. However, if the situation does arise, I have a good flashlight with me at all times anyway.

That's one good thing about a wheelchair... you have places to put things. :D

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Look at this thread from my post on page 2. There is a lot of discussion of what to look for on HD/"tactical" shotguns.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... c&start=15

If you are using an independent light that is not part of your shotgun, make sure that you practice with it. Hanging on to both of them at the same time is a little difficult. Holding the light on the target and aiming the shotgun is not that easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts