Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going Ring Neck Pheasant hunting for the first time this weekend.I will be using my new Ruger Red Label 12 ga. What is anyone'srecomendation on what size shot to use, high or low brass, and whatchokes do you recomend? By the way, we will be huntning with dogs. Thanks, "Poor ole' country boy"

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hey Hunter126330,How did the pheasant hunt go? Sorry I couldn't help much on the shell selection. I'm from Alabama and we didn't have pheasant...only quail. We had some wild chickens, but I don't think that would be near the same. <grin>Anyway let us hear how the hunt went.regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well I'm sure this is way late for you but better late than never huh!I use 7.5 or 6 lead shot from a 2.75in shell. You need to consider the strength of the bird. If your shooting wild birds go with a heavier load. You can go with the smaller shot to get more pellets in the air, but I only do it on pen birds. If your aim and gun are true, you should use the larger shot.I have shot low brass and high brass with no difference in killing preformance.Choke is going to depend on the day. A tighter choke is good if you are 1) in well hunted land 2) without a dog. Don't use a full choke but a modified should do for most cases. Cylinder is good if you 1) have a pointing dog 2) hunt on a game farm. In these cases the birds tend to sit tighter. Some days the birds will jump a mile out, others you need to use your foot to encourage flight. Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts