Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, my cousin REM BROWN got me into the shotgun world. I have always had a nag for shotguns and grew up shooting them at turkey shoots and dove hunting with my father. I'm looking into getting my own gun, a gun mainly for self protection and target practice. I'd like a gun that's fairy reasonable and that's automatic rather than pump. Again, I know nothing about shotguns and would appreciate some advice for a gun. I can shoot and grew up on a double barrel 12 gauge winchester. Thanks yall!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Id stick with the sxs.. You can keep it in the closet with shells on the stock in a shell sock.. when you need it, with experience you can reload or load a sxs with no noise.. This to me is important in a home defence situation.. Now yes, when you run the action on the semi auto, most intruders will run, but not always.. For hunting the semi would be fine, my opinion only.. If there is a gun youv borrowed that you like, and it worked well for you, by all means get one. If your a one gun shooter, and its going to be a single barrel gun, id get the screw in choke,,... dave

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Welcome to SGW. Not sure what you price range is.

$500.00-$800.00: Beretta 390 (Wal Mart) and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers (390 angled/3901 rounded). They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 (Wal Mart) only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most.
Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It's very light in weight and has stock shims available for it. It only comes in a Silver/Blue/Wood finish. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features. It can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. They have the same gas system as the more expensive Gold's.
Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep.
Franchi I-12 is inertia operated. Weight wise they are about average and balance with more weight towards the stock. It is one of the easiest semi autos to take down for a through cleaning. They hold five rounds and can take an extension. They have shims for the stock, automatic magazine cutoff, and a cartridge release lever. They do have a very modern look and are not the best choice for light target loads.
Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two.
Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib design. It holds five rounds and more if extended. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind but, can be tricked into having a magazine cutoff by holding up the carrier and pulling back on the bolt. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock.
Winchester SX3 is the same as the SX2 with a much lighter weight and a more modern look.

With the $100.00 rebate from Browning you should be able to get a Browning Gold in this price range.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I'd go with a Remington, either an 1100 or 1187, depending on what kind of hunting you do. Upland, the 1100; waterfowl, the 1187.

Buy a nice used gun with the hunting barrel you like, then buy the shortest barrle you can find. Use the longer barrel for hunting, the shorter one for home defense.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm with ffffg-
If you're used to a side by side, stick with it-
They're beautiful traditional guns, works of art in some cases, which never jam or clank when you shoot them-
My son just got a Browning SxS-
I'm jealous of him-
:}

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the help! I'm looking to spend <$500. I'd feel like a real liberal getting my first shotgun at walmart, so I'm checking in the pawnshops for now. Any of you guys have any thought on the Ithaca Model 37 12. ? My father's got this gun with a short barrel and a shell holder on the side. Looks pretty mean, and would be maneuverable in a house in terms of self protection.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In my opinion an Ithaca 37 is the best shotgun ever made. I have 3 and have put 1000's of shells through them and they never fail. You can get a nice used one for under 300 and try to find a shortened barrel or get one cut down. They are bottom eject so there is no-shell flying in front if you a south paw.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yep, the Ithaca 37 is a classic gun that has been employed very successfully for everything from upland hunting, to specialized slug guns, to police models. And since they are so cheap on the used market I think it is a spectacular first gun.

One thing to check though is whether that 12 ga. has a 2 3/4 or 3" chamber. If it has the shorter no problem, just don't try shooting any 3" shells out of it. There really isn't any need for 3" shells for home defense, target shooting, or even most hunting anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.