Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to start shooting steel in my reloads. I have found a recipe I like from Alliant. It uses 42 grains of their new "Steel" powder, Fed primer, 1/8 felt under a 7/8 oz load in a SAM1 wad, all in a 2 3/4 Federal Gold Metal hull. Acording to the recipe, this load should shoot steel shot at 1700fps. I have been using the 2 3/4 Federal low brass with fiber base wad as a sutable substitute for the Gold Metal hulls for all of my lead reloads. Alliant agrees this is acceptable. So, here's my question. Has anyone used these hulls in place of the Gold Metals for loading steel?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sorry, I can't speak to your specific question. I have used that same load tho, in the Gold Medal hull, and can testify that it really does chronograph 1646 fps. I get a 30 yard improved cylinder pattern of 67% in the usual 30" circle, with 46% of that in the outer ring. (from a Benelli autoloader)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far not so good. You said that you have loaded this. I'm having trouble getting the 12ga 1/8 felt to stay under the shot in the SAM 1 wad. The felt keeps crawling up the side of the wad whenever pressure is removed. I've tried to force it to stay by using up to 80lbs of wad pressure. Still no luck. Do you think a 20ga felt would work better? Am I doing something wrong?...I am sort of a novice when it comes to loading steel.

·
Registered
658 Posts
johnanddede - That recipe DOES say to use 12 gauge felt spacers. But as you have just confirmed, it ain't gonna happen. Must be a misprint, or Alliant's idea of a 12 ga spacer is different from mine. I used 20 gauge, they fit nicely. You'll want two of them in that load by the way. Mike McKie

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Just as a matter of interest......We are now testing hand cut Styro wads as a sub for hard waxed fiber wads and even softer felt wads. These Styro wads are the lightest wads going and the results so far have been outstanding! If there is an interest, I will post the results in the future. Best Regards, James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts