Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone think of a REALLY good reason that you'd just have to have a 3" chamber on a tactical shotgun for self defense purposes? I'm doing some looking and I can get a really sweet deal on a barrel that is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells and I'm thinking why would you ever want to load 3" shells for defense anyway? They have greater recoil, and more penetration. Is my thinking right? Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can anyone think of a REALLY good reason that you'd just have to have a 3" chamber on a tactical shotgun for self defense purposes?
Nope! 2-3/4" is just fine. The thing to remember about shotguns in particular is that generally speaking they're a bit different from handgun and rifle cartridges in that the longer shells (3" and 3-1/2") just throw more pellets at the cost of lower velocity. So you get more recoil with possibly less penetration. If you're duck hunting, more pellets is a good thing. If you're using your shotgun for defense, pellet count is one thing, but not the only thing (because people aren't ducks --- although some are chickens :wink: ). Look at some shotshell makers' ballistics tables and decide. I personally think the 3" and 3-1/2" shells give up too much velocity.
I figure that the 2-3/4" recoils enough already and that the 2-3/4" will do its job if I do mine, so there's not much point to the 3" or 3-1/2".
My Rem 870 Police Magnum is a 3" (I guess that's what makes it a "Magnum" :roll: ), but I doubt that it will ever be fed a 3" in my life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another advantage w/ 2.75" shells - at least from my perspective - is the number of shots available. With 3's, I can only load 3, but with the shorter shells, I can have five shots without reloading.

More pellets are nice but more shots are better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did the same thing your talking about, I have an 870 3 1/2" super mag and an 870 2 3/4" My supermag is for waterfowl and my 2 3/4" is my HD gun. If I want I can put a short barrel on my super mag but there is no reason to buy a barrel for 3 1/2" shells. If I were to do it I would just cut down one of my old 2 3/4" 'rs

·
Registered
285 Posts
Same type of question for 7 or 8 round extensions. This is home defense--not combat in Iraq. If you need more than 5+1 (or even less!) in a HD situation, you are, by definition, in a world of hurt with no way out!

If your target hasn't gotten the message after 6 rounds NOTHING will help you! It is too late for practice.

Once every two months spend 1 hour in practice shooting 5 rounds as fast as you can--no one on the receiving end is going to stay around after that. Even if you miss with every one of them. There is NOTHING in your home (not even your lovely MRS) that is worth wondering--"does this guy have another two rounds--or should I get out now?"

Same answer to the question of 2.75" vs 3.0" or 3.5". More is not necessarily better!

·
Registered
24 Posts
JMCCOYB said:
Same type of question for 7 or 8 round extensions. This is home defense--not combat in Iraq. If you need more than 5+1 (or even less!) in a HD situation, you are, by definition, in a world of hurt with no way out!

After reading this I started laughing at myself, perhaps I am paranoid. I know home defense isn't Iraq... but after a few trips to the range I have switched to Aquila Mini shells (1.5")
- slugs and buckshot, alternate them, and my 6+1 goes to 10+1. Same thing with my Springfield compact, always have the 7rd in it and not factory 6rd.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey,

About those Aquila Mini Shells.... I recommend that anyone using those reads Texas4040's post on the "Reduced Recoil Ammo, Anyone using it?"

It's enough to disuade me from using ANY reduced ammunition. I use the 2 3/4" normal recoil shells only. Too much of a risk to use anything else.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know what you're saying, JMCCOYB, but with that logic all anyone would have is a side-by-side. And maybe a SxS is all that is "needed" for home defense, like a Kia Rio is all that is "needed" for transportation.
Do I anticipate that Mongol hordes will sweep down upon my peaceful domicile? Of course not.
But I tend to be cautious when it comes to home and family. I have a "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" attitude. There's a scene in "Unforgiven" where some of Little Bill's men are loading up for a gunfight. One guy (who has one arm) loads up two revolvers. One of the other guys asks him why he's loading up two revolvers since he only has one arm. One-arm replies, "If I get shot, I don't want it to be for lack of shooting back!" :lol: 8)
Hey, it's an inexpensive modification, adds no length, adds little weight, and might just maybe somehow someday come in real handy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You know weather its deer hunting,feral hogs, feral people, or kevlar plated Texas doves...the 2. 75" is all anyone needs period. Heck, just spend time shooting it use different loads from different manufactures. With todays technology I dont see the need for 3" or 3.5". That said, my Benelli can handle all 3 lengths...but I doubt it will see anything but 2.75"! :wink:

G

·
daveog said:
Can anyone think of a REALLY good reason that you'd just have to have a 3" chamber on a tactical shotgun for self defense purposes? I'm doing some looking and I can get a really sweet deal on a barrel that is only chambered for 2 3/4" shells and I'm thinking why would you ever want to load 3" shells for defense anyway? They have greater recoil, and more penetration. Is my thinking right? Thanks.
Goose and Duck Hunting in the Northwest for high flying shots. 200-250 yards. Minimum

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Dear Guest, I would still use 2 3/4" for that situation because nothing would get hit anyway and smaller shells are easier on the shoulder and the wallet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
familyguy45 said:
There's a scene in "Unforgiven" where some of Little Bill's men are loading up for a gunfight. One guy (who has one arm) loads up two revolvers. One of the other guys asks him why he's loading up two revolvers since he only has one arm. One-arm replies, "If I get shot, I don't want it to be for lack of shooting back!" :lol: 8)
If I remember correctly, that guy had three revolvers :lol:

I use my 590 for black and grizzly bear defence too. In a bear charge, I'll be lucky to get 2 shots off, so do I load 3" for more pellets or 2 3/4 for more power? In the past I had been alternating 3" 000 buck and 2 3/4" slugs.

G

·
I would tend to agree that if you need more than a shot or two out of a 12ga. to end a Home Defense situation you're doing something very, very wrong. However, Home Invasion is a crime that has become increasingly common and usually occurs with groups of three or more armed assalants. This is where your choice of 2 3/4 or 3" may make some difference. A 3" shell contains more projectiles than a 2 3/4", but you can carry more 2 3/4" shells than 3". Either way, if you land a 12ga. round center mass it's game over. So what I'm trying to say is you should be fine either way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.