Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is their anymore knockdown power with the 3" slugs over the 2 3/4" slugs? Any advantages of trajectory?Rembrwn

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my experience, the 2-3/4's penetrate further and retain shape. The 3" mags flatten out into a "silver dollar". I prefer the 2-3/4 shells - Partner likes the 3"I've Texas heart shot a nice blacktail where the slug hit left of the tailpipe and ended up in the brisket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
rembrwn,I suggest you go down to your local gun shop and request a copy of the "winchester components catalog".they printed the muzzle energy,volosity,and down range trajectory af every kind of ammo they make,clear from .22's clear up to 10ga.slugs and every other hand gun rifle and shotgun cartrige they produce.I would have told you what they wrote,but we are in the prossess of moving and my wife unwisly threw my copy out:( .oh well,I guess now I have a reason to go back to my favorite shop;)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Through much of what I've read in books and online and also through shooting a boxcar load of slugs the 2.75" perform better.

You may want to throw this question out to Lex Talio, he's got skins on the wall and has forgotten more than I'll ever know about slugs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sure, the 3 inch slugs have more knockdown power than the 2 3/4 and yes they have a little flatter trajectory. They have a higher muzzle velocity so they about have to.

Now the big question is - does it matter? From my experience - No. None of the full size slugs that I've fired seem to have acceptable accuracy beyond 80 yards (2 3/4 or 3). And if the animal is closer, they all have plenty of power.

What I use the 3" slugs for is practice. With the higher velocity, the trajectory out to 100 yards is simliar to that of the good sabot rounds (Winchester Platinum Tip 400 gr). So when I'm practicing, I always mix in a few of the 3 " just to allow a few more shots while keeping cost reasonable.

For some reason, it doesn't seem to be hard to find 3 " slugs on clearance after deer season ($1 box), so I usually stock up. I guess some don't like them??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.