Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I been told that the 2.75" slug have problems and act a bit erratic when shot out of a 3.5" chamber (according to Lightfield), but what about shells? Am I giving up anything when I shoot 2.75" shells out of a 3.5" chamber compared to a 3" chamber? Especially in term of pattern? My guess is no, but I am a newbie at shotgun so please help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see why 2.75" shell will not be the optimal performer out of the 3.5" chamber. I just want a shotgun for small game, so I think I will stick to 2.75" shells but who still make 2.75" chamber barrels. It looks like all the factory made guns come with 3" chamber barrels? Any suggestions out there? looking for a pump, thanks

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
casio02478 said:
I can see why 2.75" shell will not be the optimal performer out of the 3.5" chamber. I just want a shotgun for small game, so I think I will stick to 2.75" shells but who still make 2.75" chamber barrels. It looks like all the factory made guns come with 3" chamber barrels? Any suggestions out there? looking for a pump, thanks
:idea: I wouldn't worry a whole lot about shooting slugs out of a 3" chamber shotgun because that's what most folks do. Just try different ammo to see which brand will the most accurate in your gun.
:arrow: As for which? Well a Remington 870 naturally! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Benelli Super Blackeagle, a 3.5" gun.

I've patterned it with all lengths of shells & unless you take the time to count the individual pellet holes and figure up your exact percentages you'd not realize the difference is there. Very minimal though it is there, at least with steel shot loadings. I don't see it with 2.75 or 3" lead loadings, in fact the shorter shells usually pattern better, though this is due to greater setback forces acting on the longer shot column with lead loadings.

As to slug shooting performance.

E.R.Shaw makes the rifled barrels for Benelli & they have 3" chambers.

I tested extensively to find the most accurate shooting slug load for my gun. Not one of 4 3" slug types tested shot really well. I also tested 9 differant types of slugs of 2.75" type. Both the Horndy SST & Federal Barnes slugs shot very well, less than 1.7" @ 100yds (from a bench rest & sand bags).

I took a doe this fall @ 170 yards with a Barnes slug from my Blackeagle.

I've a friend who uses a Rem. 1100 also with 3" chamber & his gun also shows a preference for 2.75" slugs. His shoots the SST type best.

Lightfield is about the only well known ammo maker who offers a 3.5" slug. Most shooters dislike them due to the rather heavy recoil they generate. Sounds like hype to sell shells to me.

I've shot a good deal of game with 3.5" shells, ducks, Canada geese, snows & blue geese & fox. They do a great job in these areas. I also understand they do well for turkey though I've not done so myself.

Uplands game & deer don't need shells longer than 2.75" in my experience.

·
Registered
488 Posts
casio02478 said:
Hi, I been told that the 2.75" slug have problems and act a bit erratic when shot out of a 3.5" chamber (according to Lightfield), but what about shells? Am I giving up anything when I shoot 2.75" shells out of a 3.5" chamber compared to a 3" chamber? Especially in term of pattern? My guess is no, but I am a newbie at shotgun so please help.
According to the squirrels i shot with 2 3/4'' shells from my 3 1/2'' 870 it tore their *** up! I think the choke will have the greatest effect since it is the last part of the barrel the shot will encounter.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The shotshell load comes out of the shell so fast that it gets very little chance for disturbance between the shell and the forcing cone. If anything, the shot cup might enlarge just slightly before it gets to the forcing cone, but it will be there before the back end of the wad has left the 2.75" shell.

Browning's information notwithstanding, I think the effect on most birdshot is negligible. Not sure you could even see the difference on the pattern board. But as mentioned above, if you have a 3.5", pattern it with shorter shells and see if you are satisfied with the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.