Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking at upgrading his gun and had some questions.

He's looking to keep costs low but still get a well known, reliable gun for the long term. I assume Browning and Beretta would be good places to look. Great reputation and popular enough to hopefully find a good deal.

Anyway, he wants a basic O/U (No engraving is fine) with 12 and 20 ga barrels. Also needs to have an adjustable comb. He has shot my DeHaan with the subgauge tubes and would prefer a second barrel set.

Does anybody offer this type of set? Longer barrels would be better, 28" or 30" for both would be nice, but I know most 20ga barrels are shorter.

I've seen a field set on Brownings website, but it looked to be 26" barrels for both 12 and 20, and no adjustable comb.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
He can buy a Beretta 680 series o/u (686, 682 Gold E, 687, etc.) in 12 gauge and get a second set of barrels in 20 gauge up to 30 inches long to fit a 12 gauge receiver from Coles in Maine. In fact, Coles could probably put together the enter set for him.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea on price?

Does Browning offer anything similar?

Thanks.

Edit- Found the info on Cole's website. Looks like $1100 for a set of 20 ga barrels.

Still curious about Browning.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I would go the Coles route and stick with the Beretta. Guerini may also offer this. I don't think that Browning makes 20ga bbls for the 12ga frame any longer. I would not consider a SKB for quality and reliability reasons. You're right, 20ga bbls start at $1100 plus fitting. Sounds like a nice setup.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
New barrel sets for a Beretta can be had from Hi-Grade in PA for less than $900. I don't know the cost to fit them, but it is an option! Don't worry about whether or not there is an adjustable comb or not. That is a very common after market procedure done by quite a few good stock folks. You can usually get it done with better than factory hardware for less than the option on the new gun would cost!

Franchi makes a pretty good shotgun. It is available in two barreled sets.

BP

·
Registered
560 Posts
TFin04 said:
I mentioned that combo in my first post. I just wish the barrels were a bit longer...
Sorry, I didn't catch your mention of this combo in your first post.
What's interesting is that I also didn't see that this is not available in 28" barrels. It was initially when it first came out at the shot show and on the web site, apparently until the first of this year.
You might still look around at gunbroker and gunsamerica to see if you can find one with 28" barrels.
I almost picked one of these combos up myself but opted for a grade VI 525 field in 12 ga (this way I could still get another gun in 20 ga - like a CG Magnus)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.