Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had stayed the night at my girlfriend's house. She lives alone, and we live in a college town. Her
neighborhood is a mix of families and college students, however, most everyone seems to keep to themselves with the exception to the house across the street from her when they have parties. It's the end of the semester and when there are breaks from school like this the neighbors across the street will have parties that mainly stay within their home except around the mid-morning hours when they will be outside drunk and carrying on.

Anyway, I was at her house and we ended up falling asleep downstairs watching movies. Around 2am I woke up hearing the glass door in front of her wooden front door open. My girlfriend asked me if I had heard that. I told her that I did. Her front and back door unlocks by button code instead of key. Her back doors are french doors (which I hate due to the vulnerabilities of those stupid doors-IMO, and thankfully she has one of those motion lights by the back door). Anyway, after I answered her we heard someone pressing the buttons on the wooden door trying to enter in random codes to try and open the door to get in. By that time we got out of our chairs as her two small maltese dogs charged the door barking like rabid psycho killers. When they get freaked out they are able to bark these freakish barks that make it sound like there are six dogs barking instead of just two!

After the dogs charged the door the attempted break in stopped. With the lights off I moved to the front door. I looked through the really small window that is part of the wooden door and at first saw nobody outside until I looked to my left towards both our vehicles and saw two college aged people (around our ages) walking out of the driveway onto the street, across the street, and straight to that house across the street! One of them was some girl and the other was a guy. They were both laughing and walking in a very drunken way leaning on each other trying to keep themselves upright. They weren't the residents of that house though.. and after I saw them walking towards that house I moved to the dining room window and looked out. At that same time my girlfriend turned on the living room lights and about three seconds after she turned on the
lights someone from across the street immediately closed their front door. About 10 minutes later some people left that house, got into their vehicles and drove off. We didn't know if it was them or not but they were parked in the street in front of my girlfriend's house.

We were so p*ssed at all of this crap! When I saw them walking on the passenger sides of our vehicles towards the street it led me to think that they did the same thing to the next door neighbor. I figured that they were both drunk and decided "Hey, lets go make these people around here think we're breaking into their houses!" And before they went to their house it looked like they also tried the same thing to the house next door to them!

Here's the thing. This proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that when you need your gun the most you won't have it. My shotgun was at my apartment! We could not believe this whole thing happened! That may have been just a couple of drunk morons being stupid at 2am.. then again it just as easily couldn't! And I didn't have my freaking gun! That's the only one I own and I have been in the process of helping my girlfriend find a gun for her as well as saving money for a G19.

We were immediately debating wheter or not to call the cops. We were talking about it for half an hour before deciding not to call them since so much time had gone by, even though I regret it. We should have called mainly because they were a couple of drunk morons, and just to have a unit come to the house and visibly let the neighbors and those two stupid people know that someone knew what they were doing (how could those two idiots be so supid? TWO vehicles were right in our driveway!) or maybe cause them to think that they tripped an alarm of some type even though my girlfriend doesn't have a real alarm besides her dogs. And also have a police officer drive down the street more often.

The facts that they could have got into the house and it could have been a lot worse and I didn't have my Mossberg 500 made me irate and made me feel like a darn failure! If I had the shotgun and got to the door before the dogs did I would have shouted that I had a gun, called the police, and if they got into the house I would fill their chest cavity with lead (and that the dogs would rip off their freakin' genitals!).

There basically isn't any other reason for this post except me sharing my experience with all of you and asking for any
advice or suggestions or anything that any of you may have. I'd appreciate the communications! :) Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the time I heard something in the backyard and grabbed my unloaded gun. Nothing is worse than being caught unprepared. I'm glad to hear that it didn't turn out worse than that. A determined drunk might have got in.

Get your woman a gun of her own, fast!

·
Registered
374 Posts
you could take you gun with you - like a pet! :lol:
happy to hear yall are safe

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really hate you missed the chance to kill a couple of intoxicated college students. Would that have made you feel like a real man ? It's really creepy knowing there are people like you, looking for an excuse to shoot someone. You are a dream come true for the "anti-gun crowd".

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The point was that if the situation escalated to a violent confrontation then Chzpo would have been without a gun. Nobody is advocating looking for a reason to shoot. :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
ftopshe said:
I really hate you missed the chance to kill a couple of intoxicated college students. Would that have made you feel like a real man ? It's really creepy knowing there are people like you, looking for an excuse to shoot someone. You are a dream come true for the "anti-gun crowd".
It seems to me you have misread Chzpo's intention. It also seems that you should reconsider your attitude.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"I would fill their chest cavity with lead (and that the dogs would rip off their freakin' genitals!)."
Yeah, Perhaps I'm the one with a bad attidude".

·
Premium Member
4,638 Posts
ftopshe said:
"I would fill their chest cavity with lead (and that the dogs would rip off their freakin' genitals!)."
Here's the full quote:

"The facts that they could have got into the house and it could have been a lot worse and I didn't have my Mossberg 500 made me irate and made me feel like a darn failure! If I had the shotgun and got to the door before the dogs did I would have shouted that I had a gun, called the police, and if they got into the house I would fill their chest cavity with lead (and that the dogs would rip off their freakin' genitals!)."

Clearly, he's saying what would have happened if they had managed to get into the house, and also pointing out how it could have been "a lot worse", and he's still pretty clearly describing what he would have done from the point of view of not knowing exactly who was trying to get in.

Yeah, Perhaps I'm the one with a bad attidude".
No perhaps about it. If you want to keep posting here, you might want to see that it doesn't reappear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ftopshe:

If I was intending on shooting somebody I would have brought my shotgun with me to my usual trip visiting my girlfriend. In other words, I had NO intentions on shooting anyone! With all due respect, ftopshe, when I said "If I had the shotgun and got to the door before the dogs did I would have shouted that I had a gun, called the police, and if they got into the house I would fill their chest cavity with lead (and that the dogs would rip off their freakin' genitals!)." It would have been an absolute Deterrence to keep any individual(s), drunk or sober, from illegally entering my girlfriend's home! If someone or someones was attempting to enter your girlfriend's home at 2am you would have a good/positive attitude about the situation? There is absolutely NO reason for anyone to illegally enter my girlfriend's, mine, or my families' home! I had no idea if their drunkedness was some kind of ploy or not, or what there intentions were -it does not matter- they were attempting to illegally enter the house! Something a lot worse could have happened! They could have got inside. There could have been others hidden. I could have not been there last night! There is absolutely no reason to casually converse with the intruder(s) asking them what their intentions are for entering the house and nicely and politely telling them they shouldn't be there and to leave. I will always defend what I hold dear! What would you have done?

I greatly appreciate all the responses and the defense I have received. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
JMO, The first thing you should have done was, turn on the lights, dial 911 and let the dogs bark like mad. When the police arrive, let them know where the 2 people went. They would have put the fear of god in them, and you would have solved a problem.
I know we all have our home defense guns, but poping a cap at another person is the last thing any of us wants to do.
You should watch the paper or a bargain corner ads for a cheap shotgun to keep at her house. Even a cheap single barrel is a formidable weapon. As a friend of mine once said, "I'd rather face a swat unit than a scared woman with a shotgun."
Like Isaid it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should always call the police on something like this. Even if it was not a serious incident or you could not identify the two subjects, a simple report could have been made that way you could have some type of documentation on it, after all, if it was never documented, it never happened in the eyes of the law.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Chzpo said:
What would you have done?
A.) Turned on the light
B.) Had girlfriend call 911
C.) Open the door and tell the drunks to get the $%&# off my porch (assuming they would still have been there after the light went on)
D.) Wasted 10 minutes talking to the cops
E.) gone back to bed

Seems like there's a pretty good chance that a couple of drunks were trying to find somebody and were going to the wrong house. Or maybe they were pranksters. It's extremely unlikely they were rapists or house robbers or kidnappers (seriously, how often does that happen to taxpaying strangers minding their own business at home?). Sure they were being a pain in the behind but that hardly justifies sicking the dogs on their genitals, much less filling their chest cavities with lead. Truth be told, you should thank your lucky stars that you DIDN'T have your shotgun with you. Had you used it you surely would have had a long legal hassle ahead of you and maybe worse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JMO, I agree with staying inside (especially a single female), letting the dogs bark, turning on the lights, and calling 911. Like it was said above, if it was never reported, it never happened. I would like to offer one tactical hint to this situation- Make sure you don't expose yourself when you turn the lights on, remember, We want them to know that We are present, not Where we are present, or Who is present. P.S. This is a great forum!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Chzpo shoud definitely have called the police. If an unauthorized person(s) is trying to get into your home, you don't know what their intent is. You have to assume its bad. It could be a confused drunk, a prankster, or someone bent on malice. You can't just shoot through the door, but calling the police shoud be the first step. You probably shouldn't even confront the would be intruder if you can help it. (But, male bravado and all, I probably would confront them and it would probably get me in trouble.) I am used to apartment living where people are always outside my door, whether it be my neighbors or their guests. Twice now one of my neighbors got drunk and tried to open my door. Its pretty funny watching him through the peep-hole trying to figure out why his key won't work. Then I open the door and he looks at me like "What the hell are you doing in my apartment?" Thats a harmless situation, but I had my 870 close at hand just in case it wasn't. Better safe than sorry. I love the police and I know their job is thankless, they are spread way to thin to respond quickly all the time. A 911 call will look better for you in court if you actually do have to use your firearm. It will show that you tried to contact the authorities for help before opening fire.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with Chzpo on this one.

Most of us including myself are not trained on what to do in a home break in. I think we all can agree no matter how much training someone has, nothing can simulate the real thing. Training all it does is help us be prepared. There are thousands of scenarios that could occur during a home break-in; who is to say what is right and what is wrong? Sure after the story is told, we all can analyze what he did and criticize about it.

Hell, even the question "what would you have done" is irrelevant. None of us can answer that question unless it has happened to us before. Nothing can simulate a home break in, only if you experienced a real home break in can you criticize about this topic.

To top it all off, even if you were trained, I doubt you will remember on what to do - well, unless you live in a ghetto neighborhood where people riot and rob homes on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Bladeswitcher said:
A.) Turned on the light
B.) Had girlfriend call 911
C.) Open the door and tell the drunks to get the $%&# off my porch (assuming they would still have been there after the light went on)
D.) Wasted 10 minutes talking to the cops
E.) gone back to bed
Not bad advice. I can't say as I'd open the door, though, but they would have been informed that the police had been called.

Home invasions happen. There was even one up here in quiet, peaceful Vermont a while back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ftopshe

Your way out of line. You did not quite understand his story. Read it again, throughly, you might get it the second time!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have had 1 incident in my 37 years on this earth that I can honestly say that if I didn't have my gun handy, I would most likely be dead, my wife raped, and my 3 year old...who knows. there were these 4 drugged up freaks who showed up at my house one night and decided to try to force themselves in thinking it was the house of someone that owed them money. my wife heard something and got up to investigate thinking it was the puppy getting into trouble. long story short, I came running to her terrified call, gun in hand, and I had to brandish the weapon in order to halt the groups actions, which led to an explanation and a hasty retreat by them.
My point in saying all of this is that I know the VERY unsettling feeling you get when you know someone is trying to get to you and you don't know who they are or what their intent is; so I can understand 100% how chzpo feels and IMO of someone is trying to break into your home, you have every right to be ready to deter them...WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE!!! :x
[/b]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Here in Los Angeles, the laws are pretty strict about use of deadly force.

So strict in fact that they almost encourage you to shoot the suspect dead, because if there is a breath in his lungs, you most likely most circumstances go to jail for a long time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts