Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using 20/28 in 20 gauge 7/8 ounce loads and am very happy with it. Now I see Alliant is starting to list some 12 gauge loads with 20/28 (so much for the name 20/28!) It looks like these loads are right in the range of what I used to do with Green Dot and/or Unique. Has anyone tried any of these 20/28 12 gauge loads? I look at the recommended bushing sizes (yes I do weigh and not go by the chart) and if the chart is right, or even close, this will sure fit nicely in an AAHS hull. Any info or experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I loaded several 1 1/8 oz and wasn't terribly impressed with them. I patterned them but like my Green Dot loads better for long range sporting. It was a little cleaner thatn GD but I don't care about that. It patterned more open in the same chokes and dictances than GD. I shot some sporting with them and they broke the targets nicely. I use GD for 20 gauge also so I have no need for it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
20/28 is so close to Unique that unless you have a fit problem I would just use Unique as it is cheaper. The reason for 20/28 is that it is more dense and fits better in the 20 or 28 ga. hulls.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
There is no reason that 20/28 wouldn't work well in 12 ga. hunting loads, more especially in the heavier and faster ones.

20/28 is very very close in burning rate to Unique, (maybe just a freckle faster), so any load using Unique ,(or Universal), would certainly be a candidate for using 20/28.

However, with loads using Unique, most do not suffer from load density problems and everything fits well in most cases. That being so, theres no incentive to use the higherr priced 20/28 in loads that Unique does just as well in.

THat being said, and to directly answer your inquiry, YES, 20/28 is very well adapted to 12 ga. field loads, and would perform just as well as any other powder in that specific burning rate category.

DLM

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts and info. Back when I first started using 20/28 I noticed where it sits on a burn rate chart and thought it should be somewhere between Green Dot and Unique in a 12 gauge. It is nice to see data published to bear this out.

Not right or wrong- just how I happen to do it:
I load all my one ounce loads in Remingtons and my 1 1/8 ounce loads in AA's. It helps me keep track of what's what. I made this choice back before I really new what AAHS meant. For 1 1/8 of shot with 17 grains of E3 (1200 FPS) or 17 of Promo (1150) with a Claybuster AA clone everything is great with very moderate wad pressure and nice crimps. When I start getting up around 21 of Green Dot or 23-24 of Unique it gets pretty tight. I don't load a lot of 1 1/8 ounce 1250-1300 FPS loads. I had some Downrange AA clones and they are shorter and they do solve the problem. BUT, I am out of them and based on my experience with 20/28 in 20 gauge, I expect I generally will have a jug of it on the shelf. Back when I did a lot of 357 and 38SPL I always had Unique on the shelf. I always try to keep things simple and minimize the number of things I stock. Of course, as most re loaders know, this is a fine idea that seldom happens. I am glad to hear that the 20/28 should work and appreciate that Rhett has actually tired it. I guess I will have to load some up and do some patterning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.