Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my first hunting trip this November. A week in
Southern California chasing quail around with a good buddy.

I have a 20ga Beretta Onyx purchased just for the trip (I wanted to be able to hand down the gun I take my first bird with). I am taking my 12ga 391 along as well, just in case, but I would really rahter hunt with the Onyx. We are going to be shooting around Riverside San Bernardino and I think he has a roadtrip planned. We will be hunting over his French Brittany.

I could use some real world advice on the right load for Quail in semi desert conditions. I am planning on 2 3/4 dram 3/4 oz 7 1/2's. Shells are readily available pretty much everywhere and from what I read that is a pretty standard choice for these conditions and these birds.

We may try for a mixed bag if he hears of any good spots for something else but he has some quail coveys already scouted.

Any other advice to make this trip a good is welcome

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I like shooting the 1oz loads for my 20 gauge but that is a personal preference and my gun seems to shoot them best.

Don't forget to take your improved and mod cylinders. You'll probably only need your IC but you never know.

More importantly is wear some good, proper fitting, boots. Nothing will ruin a trip faster than your feet getting all blistered up on day one of your hunt.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would go heavy and fast, with 1 ounce loads of 7 1/2's and a 3 dram, make sure to get the high brass. I hunt in the deserts around Pheonix and always get fast birds flushing at long distances. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts