Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a new P&W progressive press and need suggestions for a 7/8 oz. load to be used with Remington, Winchester, Federal and Estate hulls. As with my 12ga press, my game plan is to use the Hull Mfg's wad and primer. I would like to use the the same powder and charge weight for all hulls. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Your call - I'd use a clone wad... Claybuster, Downrange, Duster.... they work just as well as the name brand wads and cost a whole bunch less.... especially if you buy 'em 5K at a time.

You'll need two distinct wads... one for the tapered hulls (Win & Rem come immediately to mind) and another for the straight-walled hulls (Federal).

You can load 'em all with one powder (and MAYBE one charge weight), provided you stick to a middle-of-the-road load. Review all the available loads, using a powder with a burn rate about like Hodgdon Universal Clays. As long as your load falls BETWEEN two published loads, you're okay. If it falls either below or above any published load, it's a no-go.

·
Registered
28,499 Posts
What you are suggesting makes no sense to me at all. We are happy to have 3 or 4 types of hulls lying around, 3 or 4 types of primers, and or 4 types of wads . . . but we want just one powder, and just one powder charge weight? I don't get it.

It makes far more sense to standardize on components. THe way to save a few bucks in reloading is to buy in bulk, and keep it simple.

To try to answer your question, I consider Unique to be the most versatile 20 ga. powder; likely the best.

To keep inventory down to a dull roar, I'd stick with STS hulls and be done with it. That's what I do.

·
Administrator
23,773 Posts
Instead of needlessly wasting money with the current plan. I sugest that you settle on one hull, Any Remington is a good choice, that way you can collect the promo hulls and the STS hulls and have a variation in case markings for different shot sizes or loads. Pick up a Case of Nobel Sport primers from Gamaliel
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.ph ... 480&page=1
or Fiocchi
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,218.html
And Downrange DRV-20 wads for easiest fit in all hulls with a tapered interior, Remington and WW
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.ph ... 338&page=1
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,1621.html
And Alliant 20/28 powder
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.ph ... 641&page=1
http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/4,1819.html

Try to get everything at the same place to consolodate the HazMat fee
Use the money that you did not spend on factory stuff and needless assortments of stuff to buy shot

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
The previous replies are spot on - clone wads, Unique powder and standardization - but I'll refine it even further:

OEM wads and primers from the big three ammunition makers cost a third again more than clone wads and imported primers, which work just as well.

Unique not only is the most economical 20-gauge powder, but it's as good or better than any other.

Fiocchi or NobelSport primers are around $100 a case, compared to $150 or more for OEMs.

Check online at Recob's Target Shop and Gamaliel's Shooting Supply for best prices.

Order a case of either primer and an 8-lb. jug of Unique shipped together to split the $20 hazmat fee and shipping cost between the two.

Personally, I'd pay the few dollars more for the Fiocchis.

Stick to the AAHS and any Remington hull, both of which can use the same recipes.

Federals and imported hulls such as Estates are straight-walled and require wads of a slightly wider diameter to avoid powder migration and gas blow-by.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys but I still need an answer to the question. I have my reasons for my choice of wads and primers and have no problem with using Unique as a powder as I already use it for handgun reloading. My question, however, concerns the charge weight that would be universal for a 7/8 ounce load using any of the listed hulls.

·
Administrator
23,773 Posts
Geof Ferrer said:
Thanks for the replys but I still need an answer to the question. I have my reasons for my choice of wads and primers and have no problem with using Unique as a powder as I already use it for handgun reloading. My question, however, concerns the charge weight that would be universal .
Answer is here

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
GEOF
Unfortunately the individual DOES NOT make the rules when reloading shot shells of different types and capacitys. That's why ballisticions spend hours on end testing and developing loads. One weight powder drop does not fit all requirements.

With the use of Unique, the powder drop will GENERALLY fall in these weights:

AA CF and HS cases will generally require approx. 16.0 grs Unique to deliver 1200 FPS velocity.

Remington hulls, all current production one piece hulls will generally require approx. 16.5 grs Unique to deliver 1200 FPS velocity.

Federal cases will generally require 17.0 grs Unique to deliver 1200 FPS velocity.

These are generalities. Prudent reloading demands that you obtain and follow recommended and tested data when reloading shotshells. Use of a proper powder scale to verify powder drops is essential. Never ever trust a bushing chart to provide the correct bushing. It won't happen. The bushing charts are just a starting place, and cannot be relied upon for accuracy.

Be very aware. The 20 gauge is inherently a high chamber pressure load from the git go. Failure to follow tested and approved load data can be dangerous to the shooter or bystanders. Reloading is a serious business, not a game.

DLM

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Geof Ferrer said:
Thanks for the replys but I still need an answer to the question...My question...concerns the charge weight that would be universal for a 7/8 ounce load using any of the listed hulls.
In short, as DLM points out, there is no single answer to your question.

While shotshell reloading is less demanding than metallic, it's nevertheless a discipline for which there are no one-size-fits-all formulas.

If it were, there'd be no need for propellant manufacturers to spend small fortunes testing loads and publishing load guides.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello Geof,
First of all, welcome to SGW.
For what you are trying to do, I would recommend our new 20/28(R) powder. We have the exact loads you describe documented at the attached location. http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/20_28.htm
Our Unique(R) will work very well in most cases, but it is the WinAA case with the AA20 wad combination that will frustrate you. That wad is very tall, and that makes the loads with a bulky powder such as Unique really tight with that combo. The wad pressure required to make loads such as those bring the chamber pressure up very rapidly, so we recommend only 13.8gr of Unique in the combo you seek. That tested 11,200psi, so it may possibly be brought up further, but we don't recommend any higher.
Please consider buying 20/28, I am sure you will be very pleased with its performance. You will need to find a bushing that throws between 16.0 and 16.5gr, and this will work for you in all the combinations you listed (be aware the Estate hull is the same as Federal, if it has a brown paper basewad). The performance in each hull will not be the same, as the velocities in the Win and Rem loads will be 40-50ft/sec higher due to their designs, but they will all shoot fine at moderate pressures. I am not exactly sure which bushing will get you there, but I will tell you that while I was developing 20/28 I had to build up the G bushing with tape to get 15.5gr, which was what I was loading. That was the smallest bushing I had before I purchased some Hornady bushings to get what I wanted. I ended up using the 354 bushing to get 15.4gr. I think the G may be close to what you want.
Please feel free to contact us at 800/276-9337 during business hours and Ben will help you develop loads. (Our offices are currently closed until Jan 2 though.)
Good luck with your project, it sounds like fun.
Shoot well,
Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul:

Thanks for the info as it is exactly what I am looking for as I prefer to stick with the hull mfg's wads and primers.

I must be blessed because my local gun store sell mfg wads at a 10% discount when you buy a 1000 or more. When the discount is factored in, the price is acceptable ($10.00/1000). The same goes for mfg's primers. As I have no shipping cost or hazmat fee, the few dollars that I might save by buying on line is offset by the convenience of being able pick up the components 7 days a week.

If anyone has determined with P&W powder bushing will throw between 16-16.5 gr of Alliant 2028, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Geof;

Just in case you don't know it, $10 @ thousand is a great deal. Buy all you can afford! Wads haven't been that cheap in a while. If you are getting primers at a proportional price, get all you can lay your hands on. That wad price is about like $15 shot!

BP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PB

I hate to admit it but I also just bought 5 bags of shot for less than $30 dollars a bag. That coupled with my 3 flats of Remington STS 28 ga. for $49.88 a flat courtesy of Dicks and the State of New Jersey ($10.00 off coupon in F&W publication)means it wasnt a half bad year end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.