Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than cool to get one, is there any real benefit of a 20 ga o/u vs. a 20 ga semi-auto?

I own a Beretta AL391 Urika Field in 20 ga that fits well and works great. So, is there any overwhelming advantage of having an o/u instead of a semi-auto for primarily field use? If so, I'd likely sell the Beretta AL391 to finance the o/u.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Have you thought of a SxS? Now, that's cool!

SxSs make really nice field guns. Also a SxS, splinter forend, DT and straight stock isn't just cool, it's pure sex

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
Other than cool to get one, is there any real benefit of a 20 ga o/u vs. a 20 ga semi-auto?

I own a Beretta AL391 Urika Field in 20 ga that fits well and works great. So, is there any overwhelming advantage of having an o/u instead of a semi-auto for primarily field use? If so, I'd likely sell the Beretta AL391 to finance the o/u.
Your statement pretty much says, "No there isn't any advantage to an O/U", and you're right. That said, I like a break-action gun for everything except waterfowl.

The two main things I like about break-actions is it is easier to latch onto the hulls (I reload) and they are easier to clean.

·
Registered
17,973 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
For field use, not really. An O/U will typically be heavier to carry in the field. Also, an O/U will have more felt recoil than a Semi-auto. Also, getting three birds with an O/U is a Digweedian feat while the average guy has a chance with a semi-auto.

On the clays course, though, you have a slight advantage with the O/U. You have your choice of two chokes (usually) and you have an easier time snagging your empties. Personally, I like the heavier gun on the clays course, but I wouldn't want to be lugging around a 32" barreled gun all day long...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have clays covered, I think. I have a Beretta AL391 Urika Sporting 12ga with 30 inch barrel and a Browning Citori White Lightning 12 ga with 28 inch barrels.

I've used my AL391 20 ga (26 inch barrel) for skeet and sporting clays as well as dove. It works well for SC. But, you do feel the recoil with 1 oz. game loads later in the SC round.

My first shotgun was a Remington 11-87 Premier 12 ga with 28 inch barrel. I used it for several years before buying other shotguns. My son still uses it when we go out to shoot skeet.

I think I'll hang onto my Beretta 20 ga. If I come into some extra cash, I may consider getting a 20 ga o/u too.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
In the case of some semis, yes! And a very important one: stock fit.

I have a Beretta AL390 and a Beretta 686S in 12ga. The 390 came with shims to adjust the stock. I'm 6'2" with a long neck and long arms. The 390, with the shims for the most drop and cast, plus a 1" thick slip-on recoil pad, fits me perfectly.

When I mount the 686, I'm seeing a whole lot of rib and shooting left.

I'm about to buy a new grouse gun, and it's going to be a Urika 2 Gold 20ga, which has Beretta's adjustable stock feature.

Good shooting,
desmobob

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
txgolfer, what De Haan do you have? SxS or O/U ? Gauge?

Since you already have a 12 ga Browning WL I guess your question wasn't so much about the O/U aspect, as it was that the new O/U would be a 20 ga?

To me it would be purely asthetic, how cool do I look and/or feel carrying this 20 ga O/U in the field vs. the 20 ga 391? Both are certainly adequate for taking any upland game equally well.
Only you can answer that question for you.

But isn't it just fun to sit and think about things like this sometimes. I wonder if Einstein felt this way when he sat and thought about sub-atomic particles and what not? Maybe if I keep at it I can come up with "the shotgun theory of relativity".

Jeff

The nut list- Baker 1898 Damascus barrel double hammer gun / American Arms single shot 12 ga/ Winchester Model 12 26" IC solid rib black diamond high grade straight grip checkered stock and fore end 12ga / Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Turkey 12ga / Winchester SX2 3 ½" 12ga / Browning Gold Hunter 20ga / Stoeger 2000 Max4 camo 12ga / Beretta AL391 Urika Gold 12ga / Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga / Springfield .410 single shot (for yet to be conceived grand babies)/ Ugartechea Model 30 12 ga/ De Haan SGr-CS SxS on order since April, soon to be delivered, I hope!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Pluses for an 0/U or SXS.....

Better balance. A bit more compact. Better longevity. Doesn't jam. Somewhat safer. Auto safety. Two chokes instead of one. Better and cleaner looking (IMO).

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
No auto can compare to the balance of a nice O/U or SxS. Everything upland is more fun with a break action. I'm still using my little auto since I sold my field O/U to get my sporter, but future plans call for another field O/U. God I miss it. :(

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
01lariat said:
No auto can compare to the balance of a nice O/U or SxS. Everything upland is more fun with a break action. I'm still using my little auto since I sold my field O/U to get my sporter, but future plans call for another field O/U. God I miss it. :(
My 20 ga semi is very well balanced to me and fits me well. It is a Beretta AL391 Urika Field with 26 inch barrel.

Since a number of top competitors in sporting clays use a semi auto (typically a Beretta AL391 of some flavor) they must be pretty well balanced or they wouldn't use them. While I share your enthusiasm, upland is fun regardless of implement. "More" fun is subjective.

·
Registered
615 Posts
SS:
Better balance. A bit more compact. Better longevity. Doesn't jam. Somewhat safer. Auto safety. Two chokes instead of one. Better and cleaner looking (IMO).
01lariat:
No auto can compare to the balance of a nice O/U or SxS. Everything upland is more fun with a break action. I'm still using my little auto since I sold my field O/U to get my sporter, but future plans call for another field O/U. God I miss it.
Im liking this........my new 12 ga. Beretta SP S is sounding better and better every minute lol :lol:. Now I really cant wait :D.

(00

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
Since a number of top competitors in sporting clays use a semi auto (typically a Beretta AL391 of some flavor) they must be pretty well balanced or they wouldn't use them.
And you think they are stock out of the box? :roll:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
01lariat said:
txgolfer45 said:
Since a number of top competitors in sporting clays use a semi auto (typically a Beretta AL391 of some flavor) they must be pretty well balanced or they wouldn't use them.
And you think they are stock out of the box? :roll:
And you think the o/u's are stock out of the box too? :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
SS said:
Pluses for an 0/U or SXS.....

+1, especially on the more compact, safer, and not jamming part. If I am hunting with a bunch of guys that I don't know that well, it is nice to see their weapons open when walking to the truck or whatever to know that there is no chance of accidental firing, etc. The same barrel length on a semi and a double will make the semi longer. Even if one of your firing pins breaks in a double you still at least have a single shot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 17-month old Brittany. When I'm messing with the pup I break the action on my O/U. Much safer IMO than a semi-auto and less hassle. I have both semi's and O/U's in 12 and 20. I like them all.

Once the pup's training is squared away I'll have the flexibility of gun choice again. I typically use my semi auto's in damp or wet weather becuase my O/U's are too nice. But I like having that third shot available if my shooting is a little off and I'm just winging the birds.

Brdchsr

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've sort of faced this delema recently over a semi vs. o/u in a 20 gauge, I wanted it primarly for field use and some targets. I opted for the semi because I didn't like much about "LOW END" o/u's. I'll ruffel a few feathers but these o/u include Stoegers, Russian Remingtons, CZ's, Mossbergs, Savage, Tri-Star.

I went with a new Remington 11-87 20ga., 26" barrel, Real Wood stock, Rem - Choked. Was hard to find but I found it. All of my hunting I've done with Remington shotguns for years, they seem to fit perfectly.

I've been target shooting with 12 ga. Browning BT-99's and Citori target grades for years. I've found that trying to buy a low end o/u for field use after having a good quality o/u was hard to do. It was either spend $1600 I didn't want to or buy a Remington autoloader I knew I would be more than satisfied with. It would take alot of convincing me that a Remington autoloader is not better and more reliable than the low end stuff I looked at. I'll keep my hunting and target needs seperate for now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts