Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone shot one of these in 20 gauge?

What's your view of these versus comparable priced SXS?

thanks

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Hopefully not many people read this but the 471 is one of my most coveted guns. I've had the opportunity to shoot a few of these and they are like butter.

I generally don't like Beretta for a few reasons but the Silverhawk is at the top of my must have list.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a 471 in 12ga, English, 26" with fixed IC/M. I had the stock bend to fit, now It's my "go to" field gun for any upland spicie. Have had it for 4 seasons now, it functioned flawlessly under just about any condition. I never handled one in 20ga, I would think one with 28" tubes would work out better in the 20ga, the added weight to the front would help to swing better.

G

·
its a nice gun.
i`d like one but they are a bit pricey here in the uk. they are £3125.00 !!! there is a 50% extra tax or something on firearms here.

for a gun its alittle too much for me. although its 3000. usd. for the american market.

i ended up getting a 686e with the £1100.00 budget. 471 are great because they are mc. and have lots of stock options.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought my 471 20 with 28" barrels in December. My comparrison models were by AYA and Kimber. The AYA is a really nice gun, but I prefer the chrome bores of the Beretta. I think the Kimber is a little over priced for the build quality and the quality of the wood.

·
Registered
630 Posts
A-man, I have a AYA in 28ga, its as close to a London gun as they get. Kimber its nothing more than a Turkish gun dressed in a tuxedo, they are getting better but still ways off from being par. In any rate, I think Turkish walnut ifs over rated, I like the pattern of English walnut thats on my 471.

G

·
The March 2006 issue of 'Sporting Clays' magazine has a review of the 20 gauge 471. I handled a 28" barreled one at the Great Outdoors Festival and thought it weighed about 7#'s, VERY HEAVY for a 20 gauge. The article tested a 26" barreled 20 gauge and it weighed 6#10.5oz. The Beretta catalog lists 5.9#'s but I have ALWAYS found Beretta catalog weights to be nonsense.
The gun is way too heavy for a field 20 and it swings like a tank.-Dick

·
Registered
630 Posts
At 7#, must be precise "guesstment", a 20ga Merkel doesn't even weight that much.
I just put my 12ga on the bathroom scale it show a tab over 5-1/2 lb and hanging it by the trigger gaurd on my digital fish scale it's 5lb-12oz.
The same gun in a 20ga has a smaller frame and barrel Dia, I magine it should be lighter... certainly can't be more.

G

·
ROGER OVER UNDER said:
The 471 in a 20ga is under 6 lbs. For sure.
It is not a heavy gun.
Bet?
Why would you make a statement like that without any objective evidence?

Take a calibrated digital scale and weigh a 20 gauge 471 in any barrel length and verify your words.
Read the March 2006 issue of "Sporting Clays' where the weight of a 26" is 6# 10.50z.
Over the years i have read and heard so much subjective writing and talk about shotgun weights that i felt was just wrong that a number of years ago i purchased a digital 5KG scale with 2 KG cal weight. I only know of two dealers that have accurate scales and no gun stores. I carry the scale to Gun Shows and to gun stores. Settles any subjective assumptions. When I first took it into Midwestern Shooters Supply to determine the weights of Berretta 28 and 28 on 20 gauge frame o/u's, they had me weigh all the light o/u aluminum frame guns.
My conclusion was that the 28 gauge Beretta, no matter what the frame was a 6# or more gun. The aluminum framed 12's and 20's available were not a light as my Browning 20 gauge Superposed Super Light Weights in steel at 5# 10oz and that my 12 gauge Browning Superposed Super Light Weights at 6# 8oz were lighter than any 12 gauge steel framed gun on the market.
I am stuck with a Beretta 28 gauge QU 28" barrel at 6# 7.5oz NIB! Looks nice, feels nice but is just about as heavy as a light 12 and certainly nowhere near a light 20.-Dick

·
Registered
71 Posts
He may be right, I just weighed myself without the shotgun then with it, I had a difference of 6.8 pounds with the shotgun, and it is a digital bathroom scale. This is with a 20ga 471 silverhawk with 28in barrels...

Really odd that some weigh less and some weigh more, I will have to try it again because my weight was shifting up and down on the scale

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Buzzbee said:
At 7#, must be precise "guesstment", a 20ga Merkel doesn't even weight that much.
I just put my 12ga on the bathroom scale it show a tab over 5-1/2 lb and hanging it by the trigger gaurd on my digital fish scale it's 5lb-12oz.
The same gun in a 20ga has a smaller frame and barrel Dia, I magine it should be lighter... certainly can't be more.
I've got a 20 ga Merkel 47e, and I can guarantee you that it does not weigh anywhere close to seven pounds!...It comes in at just 5# 15 oz.

I own a 12 ga Beretta 471 Silver Hawk whick I like very much. It is heavy, though well-balanced. The 20 ga Silver Hawks that I've handled have 28" barrels, like my 12, but just don't seem to have the same lively feel...and neither would ever tempt me away from the Merkel, which is just superbly balanced and fits me like it was made for me.

My recommendation...if the Silver Hawk fits you, and fits your budget, don't hesitate to "pull the trigger" and buy one. They are well-made guns that will last for many tens of thousands of rounds.

If you have doubts, though, look at the Merkels, Grullas, AyA's, Ugartecheas, etc.

Best wishes...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
ROGER OVER UNDER said:
The 471 in a 20ga is under 6 lbs. For sure.
It is not a heavy gun.
Okay...... :oops:
I went crow hunting today.
I have prepared the crow with a brandy & orange sauce.
Serving it with a side of sweet & sour german red cabbage.

I am now eating the crow. Eating crow now. Mmm good crow.

I used a large postal scale to weigh my 20ga Silverhawk at the FFL today. 6 3.5lbs.

The gunshop owner grabbed for the Berreta book before I could say anything and he pointed to the 5.9lbs in the catalog. He says it's wood density that varies the weight.
I don't know.

It stills feels perfect to me.
Slim, solid like a finest tool in your chest.
I have handled many guns. This does not feel heavy.
It's so well balanced. The little extra weight will help a bit with recoil.
The 471 has to be touched to be appreciated.

Mmmmmm....good crow. {P^

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dang, thats a nice one.

The wood density on mine must be real high because I rechecked and my gun weighs about 6.8 pounds, it still feels light to me and well balanced. I guess the extra weight will suck up the recoil on the high brass loads.

G

·
Beretta listed gun weights have NEVER been accurate or even in the ball park. I challenged the Beretta guys at the NRA show to find me a single small frame 28 ga o/u that was under 6#'s and they couldn't.
That said; your 471 is a very nice looking gun and will perform well beyond your lifetime. I have and collect light steel framed doubles and have 20's that are well under 6#'s from different manufacturers, so I am coming from the weight and handling aspects from a completely different perspective.
Your 471 will shoot crow very nicely! :D -Dick

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Old thread I know, but I just came across it and thought I would chime in. My 26in, fixed choke 20ga 471 weighs in at just under 98oz (6.125lbs). It is a double trigger model with straight/English stock.

I would also like to add that I have two 20ga SV10 Perennias (a I and a III) with 28in barrels. Both of them weigh under 6lbs on my postal scale. So Beretta does indeed make some 20ga guns that do fall under the 6 pound mark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts