Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning towards the franchi 48Al as my primary gun for doves and the like. My only question at this point is which gauge should I get? I've heard it said that the 28 gauge is nearly as effective as the 20 gauge out to 25-30 yards. However, i know the ammo for the 28 gauge is harder to come by in most places. What do you all think?

·
Registered
212 Posts
JasonH said:
I am leaning towards the franchi 48Al as my primary gun for doves and the like. My only question at this point is which gauge should I get? I've heard it said that the 28 gauge is nearly as effective as the 20 gauge out to 25-30 yards. However, i know the ammo for the 28 gauge is harder to come by in most places. What do you all think?
Doves and what else? If you are just shooting doves and doing mostly longer range pass shooting, you would be better off with the 20ga, but be warned that the 48AL in the 20 will sock you a bit b/c of the weight. If you are doing more upland stuff and can judge your shot distances well, the 28ga is a super gun.

I have one that I mainly use for grouse and quail and have hunted dove with it. It really knocks them down out to about 35 yards, with very little recoil. If you are going to be walking alot, this one can't be beat for the weight. I certainly love mine.

Honestly it would be hard to go wrong either way.

Brad

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have both. I love both of them and thye both shoot great. If you need it to be more all around and want to shoot ammo thats cheaper, go with the 20.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I am having trouble deciding between the Franchi 48 and the Benelli M1 or montefeltro. All three are similar in weight, and none of them rely on a gas system to function, which I like. I have been able to find and hold both the M1 and the Monte, but it is hard to find a 48AL on the rack anywhere around here. I would like to see one in person before I tell the gunshop to order it for me. Oh well, decisions, decisions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts