Shotgun Forum banner

20 gauge Citiori

8K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  lockstock 
#1 ·
Hi guys,I just found a 1992 version of the Browning Citori O/U in 20 gauge,26" barrels,its a "Field,grade 1",for 1350 Can dollars. Think thats fair? Keep in mind around here they seldom change hands second hand,a new one lists for 2600. Dont know how much its been fired,any way to tell? Love the way the little thing feels and points.Makes my 12 gauge feel like a crowbar.

#4 ·
roblack said:
No I havnt. Ive used 12 gauge for years,had an old 16 for awhile,and own a 410,but the 20 seems a just right size fot partridge and phesant. Also a bit of skeet.
I have used the 28 gauge for years on partridge,rabbits and skeet.Works great.I know a couple of fellows who swear by their 28 gauge Ruger Red Label shotguns using full/modified chokes and number 6 1 ounce Winchester loads on pheasants in the Valley.

#5 ·
Is 28 gauge ammo expensive and hard to find? Where's the best place in Nova Scotia to buy ammo,Wal-Mart? I just bought some 20 gauge shells there but they didnt have the cheaper Super target brand in 20,only 12. Pretty sure Im buying the Citori in the morning. Im just checking out the Nova Sporting Clay web site in Gays River,ever been there?

#6 ·
roblack said:
Is 28 gauge ammo expensive and hard to find? Where's the best place in Nova Scotia to buy ammo,Wal-Mart? I just bought some 20 gauge shells there but they didnt have the cheaper Super target brand in 20,only 12. Pretty sure Im buying the Citori in the morning. Im just checking out the Nova Sporting Clay web site in Gays River,ever been there?
By in large 28 gauge ammo is a bit more expensive and a bit harder to find.One reason 28 gauge ammo is more expensive is that only the top of line shells are available no cheapie ones.

For myself when I find a place that has a good deal on 28 gauge shells I purchase all I can get.The last Gamebore shells I purchased I paid about $6.60 a box.The last Federal shells I purchased were about $10.00 a box.Now keep in mine these were great deals that are not around everyday.

When you are purchasing a box or two at a store the cost can be higher.I have seen 28 gauge Federal going from anywhere from $18.00 a box to $32.00 a box depending on the store.Most likely Home Hardware is the best place to purchase 28 gauge shells.They usually have a decent price on 28 gauge Challenger shells.If they have none in stock they can order them for you.

No cannot say that I know about the Sporting Clays place in Gays River.

#8 ·
28 gauge, you do love that gauge don't you :lol: .

I unfortunately have bad news. The stoeger 28 gauge I had mentioned as being my primary grouse gun was replaced this season by a spanish 20 gauge! the horror :oops:

To the original poster, the citori did sound like quite a good deal for this country (I know what you mean about seldom seeing them second hand) and hopefully you'll get plenty of use out of it. I pressume it was in quite good shape too?

#9 ·
lockstock said:
28 gauge, you do love that gauge don't you :lol: .
I wonder what it was that gave me away?Maybe the name?Nah, could not of been that. :lol:

I unfortunately have bad news. The stoeger 28 gauge I had mentioned as being my primary grouse gun was replaced this season by a spanish 20 gauge! the horror :oops:
So you decided to go to a big bore. :lol:

#10 ·
I know, I know... I caved in. It was at a little gun auction that the Laurona boxlock side by side in 20 caught my eye. Beautiful wood and not bad engraving either (and the price was a steal), but most of all the weight and fit were absolutely perfect. She tucks into that shoulder better than any of my growing collection, and it wasn't long before she earned her keep. As for the manufacturer, looking in the price book, they don't seem to command much price at all which leads me to think they are rather underrated guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.