1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do winchester super x
hulls load the same
as AA HS hulls?
Are Remington hulls better then winchesters?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I feel like the plastic on the sts and nitro stays more pliable after 2-3 reloads than the gun clubs. I have had the gc's become brittle and they look burned after 2 or 3 loads. brass is also easier to resize and also once you resiz a steel base the corrosion protection is gone.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Winchester Super X hulls are the same junk as the Winchester Universals, and Winchester advises that these hulls NOT be reloaded.

Gun Club Hulls.
I regularly get 7 or 8 reloads out of a Gun Club or Shur Shot hull. Burning of the case mouths is more a result of the particular powder used, and not necessarily an inferior case. Corrosion protection??? Never have had such problems with the GC hulls and have been loading them for years.

Are the STS/Nitro 27 hulls better. Probably somewhat, but not enough better to warrant the extra cost, if all you are after is the hulls. For competition shooting, there probably isn't a better Factory load than the STS Ammo.

DLM

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
In 20 and 12ga the Rem STS is considered the best hull available. The Gun Clubs are almost as good and load the same. Don't pick them out of the bottom of a rain barrel and they will be fine.

A loader with a collet sizer might be a better choice than a ring sizer if loading steel base hulls, but some of my 28ga steel base reloads go through a Hornady ring sizer just fine.

Win Super X hulls are at the bottom of the barrel and I don't know anyone who reloads them.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
The answer to your question depends on you objectives in reloading. If you are loading for any type of clays shooting & how many loads you can get from a case is important, the answer is definately yes, they are much better, (premium target hulls). If you are reloading for hunting, particularly with the non-toxics & heavier payloads, straight wall cases are usually better & run lower pressure. I say "usually" because if you will remember, as your HS English teacher probably said, there is an exception to every rule.
Personally, I don't care what Wincherter says. The Universal hull is simply the Super X or disc base Win. hull with a AA base wad in it. I never had any trouble loading one although they would not take as many loads as the AA. One of the best hulls for reloading ever made was the old CF Win. hull. One of the worst was the old paper base Win. hull. The CF hull was also made in 3" in 12 & 20 ga. For the highland hunter & on the range, steel is generally not a problem, but as already been pointed out, it doesn't take much to make a steel head case rust. Hunting in salt marsh, any brass head case is better than any steel head case! Also, 7/8 oz. is about all you can get in a 2.75" 20ga. target case. Yes, I know there are exceptions. Remember, 1 oz. is the STANDARD 20ga. field load & is not a magnum load. I haven't loaded a magnum load in so long I can't remember the last time but I do use the 3" case a lot with nontoxics but the payload is the standard field load for the gauge. If that isn't enough, I go to a bigger gun. ( with the exception of the 10 ga.). Loading more than 2 oz. in the 10ga. is usually counter productive anyway.

Rem. gun club hulls load great & shoot great but there was a time I would not pick up any steel head case. Remember though, I primarily load for hunting.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the help I am looking at buying some 20 gauge hulls I will start to look for ether AA or Gun club or STS

·
Registered
225 Posts
hduc2005 said:
thanks for all the help I am looking at buying some 20 gauge hulls I will start to look for ether AA or Gun club or STS
Personally I would buy the once fired 20ga STS hulls. I buy these by the thousand and get them for $.05 a piece plus shipping.

I have shot and reloaded a couple flats of WinAAs and definately like the STS hulls the best. The Rem gun clubs are okay but I like the brass on the STS hulls better.

Hub

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
/

thanks for all the help I am looking at buying some 20 gauge hulls I will start to look for ether AA or Gun club or STS------------hduc2005

Stick with the Reminton STS.

/

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
Careful, guys - in the SMALL bores (28 and .410) the Winchester "Super X" are loaded in AA-HS hulls. Yhe only difference is they have "high brass". Incidentally, they reload VERY well in the 28 and .410.

In fact, I am still shooting and reloading some original 28 gauge "Super X" with AA hulls which started life as 1-oz. 7 1/2s and 8s.

But to answer the original question, in 20 gauge the best place for them is in the dumpster.

BobK

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Breaktime said:
once the resize ring scrapes of the brass or zinc plating on them steel bases they will rust if exposed to moisture. my powder of choice is red dot.
Red dot in a 20ga?! You must be talking 12ga.

Stop using a Jr on them then get atleast a size master or don't resize them if they are going back in the same gun and function. Problem solved.

I get half a dozen or more reloadings on GC hulls. Get them free on the sporting coarse since people rarely pick them up. My favorites are STS or even Peters which in both 12 and 20 reload well, but don't see them laying around too much. GC hulls reload just as well as the others do for me using Grabbers for both gauges

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Hey 01lariat,
Getting a sizemaster is good advice. You can also get a supersizer & keep your jr. My experience has been that resizing is usually not needed with brass head cases but with steel head cases, it is not a question of if it will jam/ stick in the chamber but when! Also, the plain old disc base win. hull is much superior to the AA HS or STS type hulls for 1 oz. & heavier field loads. The "best" hull depends on what you are loading in it. Target hulls seldom work well with heavy hunting loads. They simply don't have enough room. The Federal GM is the only exception I can think of. Actually, unless you are shooting a repeater, a metal head is not needed anyway. There are two problems with the old Active hull that had no metal head. First, they don't make it anymore. Second, it was not made in 10 ga.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
By the time you pick up a supersizer and a Jr you over spent a sizemaster. The Jr's method of sizing just isn't well suited for them steel headed hulls.

Them old AA hulls better than STS? I hated them. Heck new they'd crack first shot factory then never make it loading them after that. I started out with them blue magic Rem Peters. Must have loaded them 20 time or more before I gave them hulls up. As a kid I loaded them same hulls up 3 times a day sometimes cause I was hunting/shooting so much. They were the hulls to have then. Today in both 12 and 20ga the STS/nitro are the first place winners

I might still have one or two active hulls laying around. I remember them well. As a kid with my buddies I were left wondering if they were even safe to use. I remember we handed them to a friend with a mossberg 500. If it held in that rattle trap they'd be safe for anything. They worked swell. Too bad they looked like dummy rounds. I didn't think that was too bright.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The Rem Nitro or STS hulls will give you a far longer life - than the gun clubs or any of the AA's out there.

The gun clubs are ok / they're just more brittle - probably a different plastic .....

I would stay away from all of the WIN HS hulls / they're a hassle - and they don't last very long.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.