Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Hodgdon Clays for 12 gauge skeet and trap loads. I have a 20 gauge skeet gun on order. I don't find any recipes for 20 gauge using Clays.

Are there not any? Can you not use Clays for 20 gauge?

Danny

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
dmarbel,

Clays powder is simply too fast burning for use in the 20 ga. To do so would generate extremely high and dangerous chamber pressures

Hodgdon's Universal is their recommended powder for the 20 ga. and is one of the most popular for this use.

DLM

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
You may also consider using Unique or the new powder Alliant came out with recently specifically for 20 and 28 gauge loads called 20/28. the 20/28 is supposed to burn clean like clays from what I have been told.

I have not gotten a chance to shoot any of the reloads I made with it yet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
dmarbell

The other guys are absolutely right. Especially if you are using tubes.

I mistakenly used International clays believing I was loading Universal to load my first 20 ga rounds and cracked four tubes before figuring out or reading the lablel.
Had it ot been for DL I may not have known even then.

But the powder and specific loads are very critical for the 20 ga tubes.

Briley was wonderful about replacing the tubes every time and never once questioned this dummy.

When I figured out what I had been doing I contacted them to try to make it right and they told me they were glad I had gotten it right and forget about it.

UF

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
lonertoo said:
I load 3/4oz 20ga loads using 12.2gr Int'l Clays for use in both my Ithaca 37 & Silver Reserve & my wife's Benelli Nova. This load is posted on Hodgdon's web page. Is this not safe?
That's a perfectly safe load. It's UNSAFE to (mistakenly or otherwise) replace Universal with International Clays in a recipe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For whatever its worth, I am pretty new to reloading compared to most of the guys on this forum, and recently I too was looking for a powder I could load both my 12 ga trap loads and my 20 ga. skeet loads with. After listening to these guys and some knowledgeable guys at my club, I have accepted the fact that those are two different jobs requiring two different powders. Ive had great luck with hodgdon's universal clays for 20 ga. skeet, but I want to use an American made powder, so I'm giving the new alliant 20/28 a try. Enjoy that new skeet gun!!

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
MIshooter;

If you get tired of waiting for the 20/28 and want to shot American in the 20 and 28, get some Unique, or Herco. Both very good powders for both 20 and 28 ga. I prefer Unique, but if you get a good deal on Herco, don't pass.

BP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks, BP. I just might. I can get both Unique and Herco locally. Gander Mtn tells me they expect 20/28 sometime soon, but not sure when. I noticed Midway has it on their website, but of course, then you have shipping... Any idea if herco or unique is suitable for cold weather?

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
M1shooter,

I don't think you will have problems with Universal, or Unique, or the new 20/28 powders in cold weather.

Herco maybe, but then maybe not. It however is the slowest burner and will have the lowest chamber pressure, which is what agrivates performance in cold weather. Then again, some loads of Herco have pressures close to that of Unique. I do know that Unique is more universally available than Herco.

DLM

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
I wonder how many shells I loaded with Herco and shot in cold weather (would -20 qualify for cold?) that performed flawlessly, much to the duck, pheasant, and quail's chagrin! Most of them were loaded with my old Lee hand loader and chilled shot too. Imagine the odds stacked against me back then. :shock: A wonder we didn't starve to death in those days. :wink:

BP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.