Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
check out the Limbsaver website..it has templates of the pads themselves...that way you can just remove the pad on your 20 and check to see which one would fit....I would start with the one that fits the 12.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Limbsaver #10702 will fit. You will have to grind the notches off the back, and fill your original screw holes. I used toothpicks. Cut out the template, and tape it down flat on the butt stock. Mark new screw holes and you will be in bidness. :D When it tightens down the plastic on the limbsaver will form to the curve of the stock. It added close to 1/2 inch to the stock. Which made it a perfect fit for me.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Question - Where do you get them from? The website doesn't seem to have an ordering system set up. (If I'm visually challenged, and there is a way to order, please forgive me and point out what I've been missing.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
boboh,

Do a check on Ebay, you can find them on auction there and save a few $ on a new pad from there. That is where I got the pad for my 20 ga.

Shup

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I initialy checked Wal-Mart online. Sure enough, they have them. Price was $29 & some change, plus delivery and tax.

I then checked on Ebay. Found one for $24.99 + $5 shipping. Ordered one of them straight away.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
FYI - The pad arrived before the gun did; it's NOT a good fit. :( Fortunately, it was a much better fit on my DeHaan U5E. It's about .007 short, and about .009 wide, but that's close enough for Gov't work. So, on my DeHaan it now resides.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've seen people on there talking about how sometimes it helps to trim the stock shorter when installing the limbsaver so the length of pull remains the same. This makes perfect sense to me, but wouldn't you need a different size pad once the stock was cut. It seems that the #10702 (I think that was the # I read about on here) would be too tall for a cut stock. Is my thinking correct here? I don't have a Yildiz but was looking to get one before the start of dove season. Also, how much would it cost to have a gunsmith trim the stock. I am not opposed to spending the money, but I also don't want to buy a $370 gun and then have to spend hundreds of dollars to get it to fit right.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I've seen people on there talking about how sometimes it helps to trim the stock shorter when installing the limbsaver so the length of pull remains the same.
The Limbsaver is thicker than the factory pad. So, if you wanted to keep the same LOP, you'd have to shorten the stock. I have never had this done, so any price quote would be a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess). I do have a friend who had his stock bent for about $100; I would think that shortening one would be much easier and cheaper, probably somewhere from $35-65. Again, that is a WAG, and would not include shipping if you don't have a local 'smith you can trust to do it right.

HOWEVER - if the pad fits the stock perfectly before it's cut, then it almost certainly WON'T fit the stock after it's cut.

In my case, shortening the stock could possibly make the stock's dimensions closer to the pad's; but,

1) I'm not sure how much I'd have to take off
2) I'd actually prefer to increase the LOP

Others who have installed the pad also appreciate the added length, but that's a decision best made on an individual basis.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks. That was pretty much what I was thinking. Like I said, I don't have a Yildiz and have never shouldered one, so I have no idea if the length of pull would need to be adjusted. Since I am only 5'8", I am guessing that it may be a little long if I added the pad, but there is really no way to know until I actually try one out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Here is something else to consider. This limbsaver pad fit my 20 gage perfectly. The stocks on these guns may not be cut exactly the same. One of the forum members posted that the pad was off about 4mm on his.

I have a 12 gage and a 20 gage SPZ Me, this same limbsaver pad was about 2mm off on my 12 gage when I went to tighten it down. Just for S&G's I pulled the pad off my 20 gage and put it on my 12 gage, and same deal it was off on the bottom edge by about 2mm. The pad I took off the 12 gage fit the 20 just perfect. I found that the contour on the end of the 12 gage stock was cut just a little bit deeper on my 12 gage than it was on my 20 gage. When it starts to tighten down (on mine) it draws the bottom end of the pad up about 2mm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my stock fitted by a local gunsmith. I had to have the butt shaved. I also had a recoil pad and spacer added to give me the correct length of pull (I am 6'1"). The total cost for a "kickease" recoil pad + spacer + custom fitting was $100 plus tax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.