Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I got the priviledge of shooting the new 20 ***** Winchester Super Sporting Clays Shells. Needless to say, they were FAST, 1275fps to be exact. I shot 100 targets with a Benelli Montefeltro 20 *****, using only a Imp. Mod choke for the entire course. I often shoot practice rounds using only tight chokes. (In fact I shot the 5-Stand that same day with my LC Smith SxS xfull/xfull :p )I was shooting in front of a few targets, and did very well for the first half of the 100 targets. However, when I switched to game loads (I had only bought two boxes of SuperSport) things weren't as smooth. I finished the round with 73.Overall I really like them, anyone else shot them yet?--Wing

·
Registered
70 Posts
how do they compare to the fed. high velocity? i like the performance of the federals, but overall i like winchester better so i might switch

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
From what I can tell the Winnies have the edge in velocity at 1275 with a target load of lead. I use Double A Super Sports in 12 gauge, and I love them. While they are reloadable, they are also cheap enough to be tossed. Federals are always a little more expensive 'round these parts, and they seem a little inconsistant after shooting AAs. No hard data for that, I just hit more with AAs than Federals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think pumper summed it up nicely. I tend to hit more targets with Winchester loads than any other shell out there. Maybe it's psychological, but I can't argue with the results. The only time I buy anything else is when I'm shooting cheap shells because I spent all my money on beer. :p --Wing"If it flies...it dies."

G

·
you guys have a lot to learn about shooting clays. the key to breaking clay targets, isn't high velocity. When I first started to reload, I found a load in the Lyman #2 shotshell book that had a 20 ***** load of 7/8 oz. # 8 going 1470 fps. All it did was kick hard, and blow patterns. There is no advantage to any shot load using small shot, up to #7 1/2 in going any faster than 1200 fps. A good example of this is a load a friend uses. He was waiting to get surgery on his shoulder, and went to a load of 1-1/8 oz. #7 1/2 at 1050 fps. It is soft on his shoulder, easy on the ears, and just trashes clay pigeons, even out to 60 yards, and beyond! He says he can't see any difference in the lead, and now that his shoulder is fixed, he is still using the same load

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I didn't say it was the velocity that helped me, I said it was the consistency. 1275 fps is a slow shell for me, as when I hunt I either use 1500 fps steel for waterfowl or 1400 fps copper plated pheasant loads. I have never had a problem with a blown pattern. Anything that fires much slower than my hunting loads hinders my performance. This weekend I had two rounds of 24 and a 25 with STS nitro handicap loads (1 oz at 1290 fps) and went home with no sore shoulder. I like these laods because they guve very nice patterns out to 50 yards which is important when shooting from the 27yd line. The more the dedicated clay guys try to teach me the less I hit, wether it be at a trap, skeet, or clays range. I shoot clays for practice when I can't hunt, and I would never try to down a passing duck with ammo that shoots at only 1050 fps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.