·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winchester is starting to update their website to list the new 2006 models:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/new.asp

The long rumored Super X3 is here:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 4&cat=017C

I'd like to see one in person, but at first glance, it's a bit too "Star Wars" for me. You can certainly see the influence of the Browning Gold Evolve in the SX3 fore end and rib.

I wonder if Browning/Winchester has changed the gas system, as they're now calling it "Active Valve System". I checked the Browning web site, and they're also using this new name. Will Winchester and Browning continue supplying two separate gas pistons (light and heavy) with any future target versions of these new guns, as they did with the SX2 and Gold?

In addition, Winchester is offering blued and "white" versions of the Select O/U.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks nice, I will have to check it out, But an autoloader with a recoil pad??????

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
WinM12 said:
Winchester is starting to update their website to list the new 2006 models:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/new.asp

The long rumored Super X3 is here:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/ ... 4&cat=017C

I'd like to see one in person, but at first glance, it's a bit too "Star Wars" for me. You can certainly see the influence of the Browning Gold Evolve in the SX3 fore end and rib.

I wonder if Browning/Winchester has changed the gas system, as they're now calling it "Active Valve System". I checked the Browning web site, and they're also using this new name. Will Winchester and Browning continue supplying two separate gas pistons (light and heavy) with any future target versions of these new guns, as they did with the SX2 and Gold?

In addition, Winchester is offering blued and "white" versions of the Select O/U.
Other than the butt end, the SX3 looks good to me.

Really like the new Select field guns, especially the Select Midnight. What's up with the Select Sporting and Trap guns being listed multiple times? Is there something different there that I'm missing.

On a side note, really happy to see the direction Winchester had taken with their lever guns, brining back old time calibers (.25-35 & .38-55), octagon barrels, and for this year take down models. Damn, Winchester is gonna be taking up all my $$$ this year..... I want a Select Trap, Select Midnight, & take down .38-55 Model 94 short rifle.

Michael

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It' s amiracle. For once I've actualy seen an auto shotgun I actauly like the looks of. Still doesn't have the verisitility of a pump though. That "SXR' looks nice. If they included open sights or a prefitted scope I'd get me one. Priced about right too. The 1885 in 06 would be nice rifle(IMO) a little high on the price though. (IMO) The 1300 defneder looks nice. Wood stock would look nicer. I'm thinking since I'm looking for a 20. gauge anyway. I might just own one by the end of this year.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I'm not sure what the "Active Valve" is. Their load requriements have not changed any. Browning has it on their 06 models as well. Could be they just named their piston. I do like the gas vents in the side of the forearm on the composite models.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A bit off topic; but is it just me, or does the SXR rifle look almost exactly like a BAR longtrack? The forend is slightly different, but the stock looks exactly the same, just with a satin finish.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's not you. With the Herstal Group owning FN, Browning and Winchester I think they'll all start to look more or less the same.

John

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Deimos End said:
A bit off topic; but is it just me, or does the SXR rifle look almost exactly like a BAR longtrack? The forend is slightly different, but the stock looks exactly the same, just with a satin finish.
The SXR and BAR are the same gun, aren't they? Just one is marketed as a Win, the other a Browning. Not sure what the point of that is, but hey, they must feel there's some need for it.

An auto hunting rifle..... how many states in the US even let you use those? They're verboten in PA.

Michael

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was at Cabela's two days ago. The worker bee in the gun department claimed the SX3 was going to be an awsome gun. The action has been redone and the camo paint is put on in a different process. The way he talked, it sounds like it should be a gun to lookat.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
SX3 looks alright. But I think I will hang on to my SX2. With the gas system of the SX2 working as good as it does, I don't see them changing it much. But then again, I am not in the gun manufacturing business. One big question....Why in the world do you put a semi-gloss silver bolt on a synthetic field gun?

I will be anxious to pick up a gun and see how it feels. The specs have it only 4 oz. lighter than my syn. SX2.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
SX3 looks alright. But I think I will hang on to my SX2. With the gas system of the SX2 working as good as it does, I don't see them changing it much. But then again, I am not in the gun manufacturing business. One big question....Why in the world do you put a semi-gloss silver bolt on a synthetic field gun?

I will be anxious to pick up a gun and see how it feels. The specs have it only 4 oz. lighter than my syn. SX2.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't think the action has changed. The Winchester and Browning web sites both use the term "Active Valve System" now. I think it is just a marketing name that they have given to the old system.

The Browning models that have not changed now say they have the Active Valve System, but they are the same gun.

Quote:
An auto hunting rifle..... how many states in the US even let you use those? They're verboten in PA.

We can use semi-auto rifles in Washington State to hunt with. Funny how different state's laws are so different. In muzzleloader hunting, we have to have open caps and open sights. Quite different in many other states.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Beware of false statements :

Look at Winchester's claims of a <7 # gun in the text ; but , the specs show -- 7 #s .

I recently bought a Winchester Super X Elite Light to get a
< 7# gun , apparently the SX-2 Light Field has been dropped from Winchester's line of products .

But , it is a delight to carry and to shoulder and if I can adapt ,
I think we'll be OK .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually the Browning's have changed. I looked at the new Silver Hunter and you can see that there is a difference in the action compared to the old ones. I was told that Browning just took what Winchester was using and put it in their gun. Looking at both of them that appears to be true.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
There are (were) subtle differences in some of the Gold's models . The bolt on some Golds "mimic" the Winchester Super X-1 --- the Gold Hunter and the Gold Sporting(s) have the "breech beard" while the Gold Evolve doesn't . There are some other bolt differences . And , I don't know right off where the Fusion fits .

As a side note , The Win SX-2 has more similar components with the Evolve than with the Hunter/SC . e.g. the barrel on an Evolve will interchange with an SX-2 ; the trigger assys will interchange . All of the pistons will interchange --- but the Gold SCs come with 2 pistons --- one for 1 1/4 oz loads and up
which is difficult to understand in a target gun . Gotta do some checking on pistons for the 3 1/2" guns .

I fully understand that for non-Browning/Winchesterthis means less than diddly --- but , hopefully , you left long ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The multiple Select Energy's listed for Sporting and Trap versions are because the older models had matte "non-glare" barrels, and weighed more, the new versions have hi-gloss barrels and weigh less. Different stock#'s will tell you the difference. Might be a couple other little differences, but those are the main ones.

Beware if you are buying one over the internet. Some I've seen on the auction sites list with the new stock#'s, but are selling the old versions, and have old pictures (or vice versa).

I think I'll get one soon as my 1st shotgun, some of the older matte versions are on clearance.

·
Registered
959 Posts
just lookin at that sx3, dam thats 1 sexy piece right there!

Wonder how well the grey metal finsih stands up to dragging it thru the woods thou..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for drill. I seem to be seeing "automatic" used in this forum to mean "self-loading" or "semi-automatic". I don't mean to pick nits, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that "semis" are legal anywhere in the good old U.S.A, and that "automatics" are just as universally illegal. Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I do think we should be on the same page!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
That would be full auto, as opposed to automatic, which is short for automatic loading, which is further shortened to autoloader. I guess if one is full auto the other should be partial auto? Nah. What do I know, I've only been shooting 50 years.

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts