Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've often thought about trying my hand at sporting clays. Don't even know if my shotguns are suitable for the sport. But what the hey, I'm game for any opportunity to embarrass myself.
After looking at the map, Delia isn't even an hour from here.
Am I correct in my guess that a non-registered shoot would be a beginners chance to experience the sport?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asphalt Cowboy said:
I've often thought about trying my hand at sporting clays. Don't even know if my shotguns are suitable for the sport. But what the hey, I'm game for any opportunity to embarrass myself.
After looking at the map, Delia isn't even an hour from here.
Am I correct in my guess that a non-registered shoot would be a beginners chance to experience the sport?
Over a million people shoot sporting clays each year and only 25,000 or so shoot registered tournaments. Most sporting clay shooters are hunters who want to brush up on their wingshooting or to have an opportunity to shoot when nothing else is in season. Any field shotgun would be suitable for a round of clays, just stick with the softer recoiling target loads if using a light gun.

A non-registered shoot can still be tough, especially for a beginner. I would go there sometime when they're open and shoot some practice before jumping straight in to a tournament (even if it's a non-registered fun shoot).

·
Registered
51 Posts
The off season is pretty much taken care of. So long as there are ferral pigeons in Kansas I'm happy. I'm looking at this more as a way to socialize as well as brushing up on my shooting. I truly miss the trap range we had here years ago.

As far as target loads and gun weight I'm the odd man out. I tend toward a gun with a bit of weight to it. My 16 gauge A5 and low pressure loads would be fine.
Now for the 32 dollar question. Both of my guns of choise shoot 2 1/2" 16's. Since I roll my own low pressure for the Husqvarna, will they let me pick up my hulls? Can't give away those Fiocchi hulls.

I had no idea a round of clays was relatively inexpensive. Guess I need to park m'self in the clays board and learn what some of the terms and rules are.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most clubs will let you pick up your shells (most would prefer it). When I used to reload, I used to go "dumpster diving" for empty Remington STS hulls in the 55 gallon drums they use for trash cans.

More info on the sport can be found under the rule book at mynsca.com.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts