Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not enough pellets, bad patterns. I'd stick with #2's and smaller for 20 gauge. What do you want to use it for and at what range? I'm assuming you're talking about steel pellets, but maybe you're talking about lead?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Because of how large BB BBB and T are, they won't stack into a 20 ga. hull as densely as smaller steel shot will. The largest size shot that the case will hold 1 oz of shot in is #2 steel. Regardless of patterning, you will be down to somewhere around 7/8 or even 3/4 oz of shot with the Ts, probably. That is a pretty scant number of pellets to work with. 3.5" 12 ga. loads were needed just for that reason.

If you want to shoot as far as the big guns at geese with the 20 ga., I think you are going to need to consider the other non-toxics, like #4 Rem HD or #4 hevi-shot.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
113 Posts
So the best shot for geese on 20ga is #4 1.25oz Hevi-shot ? Do the make #2 or is the pattern is bad ?

Anyone tried Blackcloud $2 (the one with funny looking pellets) ?

Trying to get a goose done with a 20ga, no luck so far - I am not talking hunting with decoys, I am talking getting down an in flight goose. I have no doubt that 20ga will go ok on 25-30yard.

Q

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You need to go hevi-shot, tungsten, or nice shot if you want to hunt geese with a 20.. cant fit enough steel in there to do any damage past 30 yards. A 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 load of #2-4 tungsten will knock a goose on its rump, I used to shoot kent matrix 1 1/8 #3 out of a 20 at geese.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the great tips. @BBK did you do it in flight or waiting geese to land by decoys ?

Two more question, considering that I am a newbie at waterfowl, that's the right lead for a mallard or great Canadian lets say 40+ yards out and to simplify it 90 degree shooting angle.

Where do you get these loads - I tried Gander some other retailers, they are really low on 20ga loads and I didn't see any loads heavier than 1oz.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I shot at decoying geese, first shot 20-30 yards. Used a factory mod choke.

The lead depends on what load you are shooting, wind, way the birds are flying, etc.. its just something you have to learn. Practice practice practice, more time in the field (or water) the better hunter you will become.

I bought the kent impact tungsten matrix from gander mtn I believe, it was around $30 for 10 shells.

Its not something you want if you are going to pass shoot and just throw shot at them, and you probably wont want a 20 gauge for that anyways. For decoying geese you dont need much, a 20 gauge will do the job.

And before anyone says anything, I was shooting 13-15lb giants.. the #3's did the job just fine. Tungsten has much more knockdown power than steel, a #3 tungsten is like shooting a #1 steel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.