Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Wanted.

Due to the non availability of Win AA hulls in our local area, I have had to resort to reloading 20ga Cheddite hulls for skeet.

Wad choices for 7/8 #9's are also very limited and am currently using the Blue Windjammer 7/8 Tournament Wad which completely encloses a 7/8 load due to its low shotcup floor (it could easily accomodate a 1oz load if needed).

The asking price for the WinAA20 wad is astronomical and the only other wad that may be suitable would be the Orange Duster (higher shotcup floor) if only they were available here in Australia.

I am currently loading 16.4gn Universal / NobelSport primer in these huge hulls and am constantly battling the problem of either air space between powder & wad or dished crimps because the wad column sits too low in the shell.

Given the hull & wad restrictions I am forced to work with, I am wondering if there may be a better choice of powder i.e. one that is more bulky and takes up more room in the hull and yet still gives decent ballistics with the 7/8oz payload.

As a last resort, my only other option would be to seat the wad on the powder and then top up the hull with puffed wheat as a filler.
Not a desirable solution, but then......what else can I do.

Case, BP - HELP PLEASE!

P.S. Case - did I read recently you were working on a chart of relative powder densities?
This indeed may help as yet again we are not blessed with a lot of choice when it comes to propellants either.....

regards
Phantom

·
Registered
864 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, the Cheddite hull is a straight walled hull. I think the best wad that would help you out, would be the Federal 20 gauge wad. It will take up more space in the hull, so your crimps look much better :D As for the rest of the recipe .... You might want to look up a load using the Federal wad.

BTW, the Windjammer wad is designed for tapered hulls .... Not straight hulls :(

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gualandi and B&P both make 20 ga. wads designed for straight walled hulls. The Gualandis are available from Graf and Sons here i n the USA. Not sure who, if anyone imports them down under. They should be available down there since the Australian made Winchester 16 ga. loads are made with cheddite hulls, cheddite primers and Gualandi 16 ga. wads. So at least the 16 ga. gualandis are down there for sure.

FWIW, the B&P wad (sold by Precision Reloading as the trap commander) will cover more shot in the payload than the Gualandis (which usually have 1/8 or more of the shot riding above the petals). But the gualandis work well for me in most of my guns, so I don't worry about the shot above the petals. Opens the chokes some, but not enough to make me worry. Besides, I'm a grouse hunter. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts