Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm new here and have already found a lot of great information.
I'm looking into getting a new 20ga. I was looking to spend around 600 to 700. I'm looking at the Franchi 720 or the Beretta 3901 American cit. I'm leaning more to the 720. I found a lot of great information on both. I will be using the gun for field and clay. Here is the question. I also want to try turkey hunting, will the 20ga get the job done? and if I go with the 720 should I get the camo for the turkey hunting?
Thanks again for all the help,
Danny

·
Registered
661 Posts
There are any number of turkey loads available for the 20 ga. You'll have to get a x full or a turkey choke and try different loads, costs a bit at first but worth it. You might try Heavy Shot first, if it works end of patterning. Good luck. Oh yes the 20 ga with prober loads will kill turkeys at 30 yds. with no problem.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
With the right load and choke you can kill to 40 yards with no problem. I have shot hevi 13 no. 6 shot 3 inch loads through my 11-87 with a turkey choke that throw very good patterns at 40 yards. I killed my first turkey at that range after patterning to know my effective range.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
The 20 ga is serviceable as a turkey gun, but not necessarily the best tool for the task. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or decieving themselves.

As has been pointed out, HeviShot will produce some acceptable patterns at good distances. But, if that same HeviShot is used in a 12ga, there'll likely be more of it with better patterns.

If you only gun is a 20ga, for whatever reason, use it and enjoy it on turkey. But if you have a choice, carry the 12ga.

Frank

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If I wanted to kill turkeys beyond 40 yards I would use my 12 gauge. It sure was fun to take one with the 20 though. I had a chance to take another one at 40 yards. I let the guy that was with me take the shot with his 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge. He missed. I guess even with a roman candle you can miss. That bird would have been dead with my 20 gauge.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
20 gauge is fine.
Grab some #6 or #5 shot. There is really no reason to get Hevi-shot or any of the other heavier than lead loads.

Some Fiocchi Golden Pheasant would be good.

Keep your shots to 30 yards.

I've found through much trial and error that most 20 gauge X-Full and XX-Full are pretty useless. Pattern your load/barrel combo. Both of my previous 20 gauge turkey guns patterned better with Full chokes.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I am in the process of looking for a good 20ga turkey gun. Ammo has come a LONG way in the last couple of years. The 20ga is perfectly suited to killing a turkey at 40yrds (with proper load and choke).... and most turkey are killed within this range anyway. Plus you get less recoil and a lighter, better handling gun.

Adam

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I love to pattern guns. One thing I have found in patterning shotguns is that 40 yards is a long shot for a shotgun. Past 40 it becomes very hard to center your shot. I have an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper on my desk right now with a turkey image on it that I patterned before last turkey season. It has 96 no. 6 hevi13 pellet holes through it from 40 yards. These pellets are denser than lead and denser than regular hevishot. These no. 6's are like lead 4's. Hevishot likes to be choked tight. My turkey chokes, both the Remington x-full and a truglo turkey choke, patterned much tighter than my factory full choke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts