Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..

Right now I have a MEC 9000G Progressive reloader, 12ga. It has been very reliable and works great for me so far. I was in Gander mountain yesterday with my gift card I got for my birthday a while back. I was looking at just getting a MEC 600jr. in 20ga. Just to reload for some bird hunting and occassional Skeet-5 stand-Sporting clays. This is about a 110$ machine....Do you think it would be worth getting or just to buy the shells...I wouldnt mind having another one and just being able to reload shells....just wondering is it worth it?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
First of all, for a little more money I'd get a Sizemaster insted of the 600 Jr for 20 gauge. It has the collet resizer and comes with an automatic primer feed. They're about $150 online, plus about $15 shipping.

But the bottom financial line for 20 gauge is you won't save much money, if any, over promo shells from Wal-Mart unless you can buy components in bulk at reasonable prices.

By bulk, I mean case lots of primers and wads and 8-lb. jugs of powder.

If you have to buy powder by the pound, wads by the bag and primers by the thousand, you'll likely end up paying more for a box of shells than you can buy promos for. And I haven't even mentioned the single-bag price of shot.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Case is right, you probably won't save much money. I reload 20 gauge mostly because I'm a recoil wimp and 3/4 oz loads at about 1150-1175 fps are much easier on my shoulder when shooting my 6 1/4 pound shotgun.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you guys think if I just happened to have a gift card and maybe get another gift card for my next birthday and cant figure out anything else to get this would be a good thing to get? or maybe like the sizemaster case suggested?

·
Registered
125 Posts
TrapDt10 said:
Do you guys think if I just happened to have a gift card and maybe get another gift card for my next birthday and cant figure out anything else to get this would be a good thing to get? or maybe like the sizemaster case suggested?
If you just want to buy a reloader, either is fine. Reloading shells is interesting; some would say it is fun. The sizemaster is a better machine, and if you are going to be reloading a good bit, it is well worth the money. Also, if you shoot an auto, it is well worth the money, since resizing brass becomes more important.

For my part, I would save my gift cards for a sale on shells unless you specifically know of a load you need but cannot find (such as a really light load).

Just my $.02.

Brent

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well at the very most I would be loading maybe 1000 shells a month just for the occasional fun day of shooting. Compared to the around 5000 shells a month for my trap shooting, just for practicing, which is in no way just a fun day :? , just serious practice, well you know what I mean, fun but not fun ^77

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
1,000 shells will take awhile to load on a single-stage, and if you are already loading 5,000 a month, adding more loading is not likely to be much fun. I agree with bmcd:
For my part, I would save my gift cards for a sale on shells unless you specifically know of a load you need but cannot find (such as a really light load).
On the other hand, since you obviously already know about buying in quantity for your 12 gauge loading, you can run up the figures using this calculator to see if it is worth it to you.

http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

I have always used a 600 jr for loading 12, 20, & 28, and am completely satisfied, but I only shoot a total of around 400-500 shells a month.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I geuss I will skip it for now, Some time though if I find a cheap one I think I may scoop it up just to have it, never can have to much gun stuff. :) , dont we all wish :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts