Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trap shoot every week or so, and have put several hundred rounds through my 20ga O/U Remington Spartan. I love the gun, and i can shoot well with it. There is a problem developing now when I take a shot, thumb the break level over and the gun remains locked shut. I have to wiggle the lever back and forth, shaking and twisting the gun till it finally breaks open. Only after I take a shot. I have been shooting trap mostly, shooting from the lower barrel.

Whats going on with this? Has anyone had to do some mods to get this to work right?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is it locked totaly shut or partially shut? If it's partially shut, I bet the bottom shell is catching on the extractor keeping the gun from opening smoothly. What brand of shell are you using?

My 310/12g does this with cheap Winchester shells and nothing else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is totally shut. Also, under normal operation, when you pull the lever over, you hear a click, and the action breaks open. When the problem occurs, I pull the lever over and I hear NO click.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I am beginning to think that this is caused by "soft" primers in budget ammo. The pin hits I have noticed, are quite deep into the primers. I have some Remington Red Label shells that I will use next.

Thank you very much! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem with a 20g SPR 310. Never quite figured it out. I was using high brass estate loads which some thought may have been the problem. I switched to low brass STS and it DID NOT solve the problem. The gun went back and I switched out to a 12 ga SPR. No problems with the 12 and it's been >12000 rounds through it.

bb

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
I had this problem with a Stevens 311. I blunted the firing pins with a file. Just a touch. No more problems.

Just pull the barrel, dry fire it, leave the pins sticking out, hit them just a bit with a fine file to flatten the points a bit. Put the barrel back on and go shoot some more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Posted this a couple of months or so ago relating to my IZH27 .20GA locking up as well. Since then I have not experienced any further lock problems:

I have had one issue with the 20GA in that the action locks up or is difficult to open when shooting Winchester AA shells. I isolated my problem to the bottom barrel and concluded the firing pin was "sticking" with the Winchester shells. Didn't have any problem shooting Remington shells. After researching what I could find here on the Baikal Forum of action issues/problems. I found one thread where one owner was having a similar problem, and had sent his IZH to EAA for repair which they "adjusted the firing Pin". I decided to look at my firing pins to see how they could be adjusted. Which I've yet to figure out. I did find that my bottom firing pin was binding just a bit irregularly. I decided to polish it completely to include lightly polishing the tip, and also cleaning out it's chamber with Gun Scrubber. Relubed and reassembled it. I've shot 75 Winchester shells since then with no more stuck action.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Apdair1 said:
Posted this a couple of months or so ago relating to my IZH27 .20GA locking up as well. Since then I have not experienced any further lock problems:

I have had one issue with the 20GA in that the action locks up or is difficult to open when shooting Winchester AA shells. I isolated my problem to the bottom barrel and concluded the firing pin was "sticking" with the Winchester shells. Didn't have any problem shooting Remington shells. After researching what I could find here on the Baikal Forum of action issues/problems. I found one thread where one owner was having a similar problem, and had sent his IZH to EAA for repair which they "adjusted the firing Pin". I decided to look at my firing pins to see how they could be adjusted. Which I've yet to figure out. I did find that my bottom firing pin was binding just a bit irregularly. I decided to polish it completely to include lightly polishing the tip, and also cleaning out it's chamber with Gun Scrubber. Relubed and reassembled it. I've shot 75 Winchester shells since then with no more stuck action.
Sounds like you figured out what "adjusted the firing pin" meant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts