Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found everyone's opinions quite helpful on my 870 questions so here I go again asking for help. I know this is a shotgun site so I put this here.
I'm looking to buy a good .22 and as of now I'm leaning toward either the Remington 552 BDL or the 572 BDL. Can anyone tell me some pros and cons of these. Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Doesn't really answer your question, but I would buy a Ruger 10/22. There are thousands of accessories in the aftermarket that will let you change the rifle to your liking. New stocks, barrels, magazines, entire trigger assemblies are available for the 10/22.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
check out the marlin 7000.It is a real tack driver,you don't have to do anything to it other than put a good scope on it.Mine will shoot at 25 and 50 yards that you can cover with a quarter.I will beat a 10/22 hands down without buying barrels,triggers and what all. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would buy a Ruger 10/22. Its gives you so many choices, blued, stainless, wood, synthetic. 18 or 22 inch barrel, bull or srandard. Clips readily available 10 to 50 rounds.The 10/22 has more after market items (folding stock, muzzle brake, etc) than any firearm I can think of. Right out of the box its one reliable , durable sweet shooting gun. I've owned 3.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've never had good luck with the 10/22's. A friend of mine has one of the Remingtons, but I can't remember which one. He's had it for years, and he loves it to death. It's a sweet shooter, that's for sure. I'd take one over the Ruger anyday.

....but then again, I'd take a CZ over pretty much any non-competition rifle ($2000+ Anschutz type rifles are what I'd call "competition") anyday. I've got 2, and I love them. Since people started popping in their advice about rifles other than the Remy's, I figured I'd go ahead and toss in mine as well.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
grues said:
I found everyone's opinions quite helpful on my 870 questions so here I go again asking for help. I know this is a shotgun site so I put this here.
I'm looking to buy a good .22 and as of now I'm leaning toward either the Remington 552 BDL or the 572 BDL. Can anyone tell me some pros and cons of these. Thanks
Jim
Buy yourself a Marlin bolt action 22. Not the fanciest gun, nor does it have the name that the 10/22 has. But it will serve you well. I have one I bought brand new for $179. My Marlin 925 has seen 2,000 rounds of ammo. I'd say it's paid for.

Oh and here's a link:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/boltAction22/index.htm

Sho†gun Minis†er

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Hands Down Ruger 10/22

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
grues said:
I'm leaning toward either the Remington 552 BDL or the 572 BDL. Can anyone tell me some pros and cons of these
I am a major long term fan/user of the 870 Wingmaster and target grades but I have never been too enthusiastic about the 572.

I think it is the aluminium alloy receiver. I used to deal with a now long-retired gunsmith who told me that they develop problems locking up with a lot of use and I knew at least one person who had this problem. That was a long time ago, may be the problem got addressed or it was an isolated occurrence.

K4b00m said:
....but then again, I'd take a CZ over pretty much any non-competition rifle ($2000+ Anschutz type rifles are what I'd call "competition") anyday. I've got 2, and I love them.
That is my choice too but when it comes to rifles, I tend to like bolt guns. I have had my CZ ZKM452 Lux since I bought it new in 1972. I have owned it longer than any other gun I currently have. It has burned up countless bricks of .22LR's and has never required any repairs and was and still is unbelievably accurate.

http://www.cz-usa.com/01.detail.php?id=3

Also my only high power rifle is a CZ ZKK600 in .30-06; it will shoot three shot MOA with factory ammunition.

When it comes to rifles, I like CZ's quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
ftopshe said:
I would buy a Ruger 10/22. Its gives you so many choices, blued, stainless, wood, synthetic. 18 or 22 inch barrel, bull or srandard. Clips readily available 10 to 50 rounds.The 10/22 has more after market items (folding stock, muzzle brake, etc) than any firearm I can think of. Right out of the box its one reliable , durable sweet shooting gun. I've owned 3.
I'm truely curious as to what you need a flash hider on a .22 for? Flash hiders do have a place on HD weapons but this hardly describes a .22 Same for hi-cap mags, folding stocks and the like.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Hi cap magazines definitely have a place on a .22 rifle. 22s are so much fun to shoot and plink with and a hicap magazine will let you do that longer without reloading. They increase the fun factor many times.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
bopper said:
Hi cap magazines definitely have a place on a .22 rifle. 22s are so much fun to shoot and plink with and a hicap magazine will let you do that longer without reloading. They increase the fun factor many times.
...and decrease the size of your wallet at the same time. Something I prefer not to do. Grues never realy stated what he wished to do with his .22. If all he wants to do is shoot gophers then the after market parts are quite illrelevant. Quite franlky I don't see what makes the 10/22 so special. I never was a big fan of semi-auto's anyway. Less accurate and they don't function well in the cold climates.

ETA:

Before I bought my Marlin I went to Reed's sporting good's store and looked at a 10/22, I just don't see what they have that everyone want's so bad. For starters the stock felt about 6 inches too short. Then the asking price was twice what I paid for my Marlin. (Which once again for the record has seen 2.000 rounds and functions like new.) Like I said I just don't see what the attraction is.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
grues said:
Jim
i can't comment on either rifle, but if you'd like more information on them, i'd check out www.rimfirecentral.com

they have a seperate remington section where you can ask about the rifles... and the best part is that you'll get actual info on them instead of having a dozen people tell you to buy a 10/22 :wink:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
shotgun minster said:
...and decrease the size of your wallet at the same time. Something I prefer not to do. Grues never realy stated what he wished to do with his .22. If all he wants to do is shoot gophers then the after market parts are quite illrelevant. Quite franlky I don't see what makes the 10/22 so special. I never was a big fan of semi-auto's anyway. Less accurate and they don't function well in the cold climates.
Shooting a .22 will decrease the size of your wallet? A highcap magazine cost about $20 and the factory magazines are about $25/pair. So the cost per magazine per bullet is the same. .22 ammo costs about $15/500. Even with high cap magazines, you can shoot for a long time with 500 bullets.

Around here, a round of 100 sporting clays costs $30. Shooting a .22 is certainly MUCH cheaper than shooting a shotgun.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Shotgunworld has a sister site at Shootingworld. There is a forum there called "Rifle Opinions" which would be another good place to ask these questions.

http://www.shootingworld.com/

And after those questions are answered, I'm sure you'll want to know about Pistolworld.

http://www.pistolworld.com/

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you like the Remington's, get a 597. They are cheap and they shoot well. I'd put it up against the 10/22 anyday. They just don't have all the bells and whistles for the 597.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The Rugers are solid, OK rifles especially if you want to spend a lot of additional money jazzing up your gun. There are tons of add-ons available to make it anything you want it too be. All you need is money.

If you want a decently priced 22 that is dead on accurte right out of the box and doesn't need any add-ons get a CZ 452 Special or Lux (great iron sights), get an American if you want a scope. These a bolt action guns

If money is an issue and you just want a cheap 22 that's reliable and accurate and a ball to shoot get a Marlin 60 and a BSA 3-7 power scope from Wal-Mart. Less than $200 and that's paying full price, usually you can get it much cheaper. Tube feed so there's no need for expensive magazines. Not much available for add-ons but a fun gun as it is.

I own a CZ 452 Special and 2 Marlin 60s

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
bopper said:
shotgun minster said:
Why all these autos? Grues asked about two models, both Remingtons. Both of these are pumps.
The 552 he mentions is an semi-auto.
Ok I admit I didn't look at the pic good enough. My point still stands though. Why the strong trend towards autos.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts