Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mav88 with a 28" mossberg barrel on it. Is there any advantage in this long barrel over a shorter barrel, say, 22"?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
barrel length is a little over rated.
I shoot 28" 20 and 12 ***** for turkeys and no problem.

If your in god awful briars or something, maybe, but generally your hidden off the side of a field or game trail.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'd say you should be fine with a 28" barrel. After all, you're only talking about 6" of barrel. My 870 has a 30" barrel and it's never been a problem. Now if you need an excuse for more toys, then you might have found one.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
If your in god awful briars or something, maybe, but generally your hidden off the side of a field or game trail.
Just think of what Civil War soldiers had to go through when marching through woods! :shock: Those Springfields and Enfields had much longer barrels than the current shotgun.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think the whole shorter barrel lenght for turkey is bs. They say it is easier to swing throw the brush :lol: . Just some more marketing bs, trying to make you by something else. There is no need, esesially when you are pinching pennies like I am :roll:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
A 28" barrel is of no disadvantage to the average turkey hunter. I use one with no problem. Sure it would be more convenient to have a shorter barrel if one was available but I don't exactly have 400-500 bucks that I can just go out and drop on a turkey gun of my choice......-Matt Latham

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Your 28" barrel is fine. Heck,I sometimes take my 10ga SxS and it has 32" barrels.

G

·
I used an Ithaca Mag-10 with 32" barrels for many years. I can't think of too many longer barreled guns other than a Marlin 55 Super Goose with 36" barrel. I now use either a 28" or 30" barreled gun. The only advantage I see to a shorter gun is when hunting out of a blind, you don't need as much room in front of you to bring the gun up. uglydog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts