Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted a thread asking shooters that owned these guns, what They thought of this gun sold by Guns Unlimited. The reviews were very favorable. I wanted to purchase one, but they were on backorder. I finally got home from My job, and contacted Guns Unlimited again to see if they were in stock. They were, and I bought one. I have to say that for the money these look pretty good. Everything went together pretty well right out of the box. The gun was available with 32” barrels, with a higher rib, and overall fit and finish was pretty good. There is no scroll engraving of any kind on this gun, which was not a high priority for Me. Fit of the stock was pretty good , and I am not petite. The recoil pad was adequate for this gauge, but I will probably have a Kickeeze pad installed, as that is what I am used too. I may have an adjustable comb installed, but not until I actually shoot it, to see how I do. In closing, I would say that I think this gun will be great for My needs, without breaking the bank, and I definitely would recommend this model gun to shooters, that want to scratch the 28 gauge itch, shooting clays.
Plant Botany Wood Fence Rectangle

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sounds great! Let us know how it feels once you shoot it. Is this a 12-gauge framed gun with just the subgauge barrel on it? I’ve thought about getting one of their 3-barrel subgauge combos for subgauge events- they seem to be a lot of gun for the money.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not a 12 gauge framed gun, but not a baby frame either. More like a 20 gauge frame. This is not a hunting gun. It is probably quite a bit heavier than a baby framed gun, especially with the 32” barrels. In My case I wanted a little more heft to smooth out My swing for clays. by the way, if anyone is thinking this might be a gun for You, specify what hand of stock You want, as this one definitely has a palmswell for a right hander!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have the 3 barrel set of this same gun. I love the gun and shoot it very well in all 3 gauges,,,, BUT.... The 28 and .410 barrels have begun "leaking" rust from underneath the mid rib. The gun has NEVER been wet so I don't understand how or why it could rust between the barrels. There are also rust spots on both the top and bottom of the vent rib.
I have contacted Browning and they want me to return the ENTIRE gun, all 3 barrels AND the receiver and all wood. It almost sounds like there was an issue from the factory and they want them back. I don't know what to expect when I send it in.....

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Gentlemen,
I had a 28/20 Browning Combo gun, built on the 20 gauge frame, I have shot many thousands of shells thru her and never had one single problem with the gun, I used the 28 gauge shooting Clays all the time, no rust or any other kind of problem. Great O/U high quality gun no doubt about it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Mallard Cutter,

Keep looking they surface every once in a while, not many owners ever give them up however.
Good luck finding one.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had posted a thread asking shooters that owned these guns, what They thought of this gun sold by Guns Unlimited. The reviews were very favorable. I wanted to purchase one, but they were on backorder. I finally got home from My job, and contacted Guns Unlimited again to see if they were in stock. They were, and I bought one. I have to say that for the money these look pretty good. Everything went together pretty well right out of the box. The gun was available with 32” barrels, with a higher rib, and overall fit and finish was pretty good. There is no scroll engraving of any kind on this gun, which was not a high priority for Me. Fit of the stock was pretty good , and I am not petite. The recoil pad was adequate for this gauge, but I will probably have a Kickeeze pad installed, as that is what I am used too. I may have an adjustable comb installed, but not until I actually shoot it, to see how I do. In closing, I would say that I think this gun will be great for My needs, without breaking the bank, and I definitely would recommend this model gun to shooters, that want to scratch the 28 gauge itch, shooting clays.
when you say it didn't break the bank... was it a lot cheaper than the 725 sporting that I've been looking at? That's a $3500 gun.

I have started shooting in sub-gauge events at the club and I'm using sidekicks in a spare 12ga, but that gun doesn't fit me as well or feel as good as my current 12ga browning 725 sporting does I'd like to have another browning in 28ga.

But $3500 is too much for a 28ga that is not my primary gun. I will keep shooting sidekicks and might just get the trigger done on the 725. About $2K.... I'd buy that gun, especially with the longer barrels.

(What's really crazy is that I can actually tell that my spare gun doesn't fit. I low mount whenever I can and usually pull the trigger soon after the gun hits my cheek. I can tell that the gun is pointed to the right of the target with this spare gun. This spare gun is a low cost gun that's not worth the trouble to try to get it fitted.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts