Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the never ending battle to reduce reloading costs, I'm looking at Rio 28 gauge as a substitue for Winchester HS hulls. My first assumption is they are reloadable with staight wall load data for Cheddite or Federal hulls. Any issues or suggestions as to components and results?

·
Administrator
23,822 Posts
Those Rio hulls will load fine for about 1 or 2 times. Many folks have trouble with them sticking in the chambers after one reload due to flimsy metal head. IMHO buying them is false economy and will cost more in the long run. Do what you think best.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curly-Nohair said:
Those Rio hulls will load fine for about 1 or 2 times. Many folks have trouble with them sticking in the chambers after one reload due to flimsy metal head. IMHO buying them is false economy and will cost more in the long run. Do what you think best.
I want loads that chamber easily and give reasonable hull life. I bought 2000 once fired Remington STS hulls when I first started reloading 28 gauge for $263. Any issues with them as they are $ 69.50 a case compared to Winchester HS which are $89.50 from CAC associates? I guess Robert Heinlein was right, TINSTAAFL, there is no such thing as a free lunch!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Here's my two cents: Winchester AAHS 28ga hulls are the best out there. Unless you don't plan on reloading I would stick with the Winchester's. Apples to apples they are a better factory shell as well. You can expect around 8-10 reloads from AAHS hulls. Remington factory shells are good, but the case mouth is skived (they thin the plastic for better crimping) and they tend to give up the ghost pretty quick. So if your looking to save money, you might spend more in the beginning, but you end up reloading those .15 cent hulls over and over rather than pitching them after 2-3 loading.

B.C.S.

·
Administrator
23,822 Posts
redhawk500 said:
Curly-Nohair said:
I want loads that chamber easily and give reasonable hull life. I bought 2000 once fired Remington STS hulls when I first started reloading 28 gauge for $263. Any issues with them as they are $ 69.50 a case compared to Winchester HS which are $89.50 from CAC associates? I guess Robert Heinlein was right, TINSTAAFL, there is no such thing as a free lunch!
The Remingtons will give you 2-3 reloads before crapping out, the WWAA-hs will give 8-12 reloads. You can use those Remington hulls to hold a different size shot that you use less often and therefore stretch their time that they are useful to you.
At this time, there is no 28 or 410 hull that is better or even 1/2 as durable as that WWAA-HS hull.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the $2 per box / $100 total discount promotion going on right now from Remington and Winchester, I guess I need to buy 5 cases of STS 20 gauge and 5 cases of Winchester 28AA or 410AA. They have started making Rio shotgun shells here in Tennessee and I hoped to give local workers some business.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Perhaps I might assist you. See, I bought 40 flats of RIO 28ga when they were $50 a flay (yeah, that's 10,000 shells) and the AA-HS were $80 or $90. So, I can ASSURE you of numerous tidbits, not the least of which is, I would've been better off buying $2,000 worth of HS 28ga and only getting 20+ flats, as opposed to walking away with 40 of RIO's. RIO's are not, and I fear never will be, even close to a 'substitute' for HS 28ga. RIO's are; however; a d*mn fine replacement for Rem 28ga, when you consider how much more expensive the Rems are.

Now, that said, I have succeeded in making lemonade out of lemons and I am getting four (4) reloads out of the RIO's and, for the last year, have been loading them with 5/8oz lead using the Gualandi 28ga wads available from BPI or Grafs (I bought my, err, multiple cases when they were at [email protected]). I have no problems with the metal heads swelling as I resize them before reloading them. Because I use a single stage press and not a progressive; however; I have no 2nd finishing crimp die and so, after I reload 'em the 1st time the crimp ends swell a bit and I can't get 'em to feed through my pumps or semis but, that is okay. After getting them through those guns twice, I am happy to shoot 'em through my 28ga o/u's and sxs's!

I only buy HS 28ga shells new now, minimum $1M at a time and rebate or not -- how can I not when I get 8-12 reloads out of 'em (there're some who do better than even that!)

Best o' success!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thorsen: if your loading on a Mec single stage loader, you can buy a taper crimp die from mec and just switch it out on the final station. A guy I shoot with did just that with his Mec 600 before moving onto a 9000GN. Worked wonders with him shooting pump gun.

-B.C.S.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hey! Thanks! I am actually making a list (and checking it twice ;-) of MEC items I need to stock up on so, THAT just went to the TOP of the list !!!

·
Administrator
23,822 Posts
If you have a drill press, just use the taper crimp in the drill press. Set the stop to get the correct taper. Don't turn the machine on, not needed.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
If you have a drill press, just use the taper crimp in the drill press. Set the stop to get the correct taper. Don't turn the machine on, not needed.
I DO! I'ma GONNA! (and . . . I won't!)

Man, I will be VERY happy to get past this bit of a hurdle so, thank you BOTH, very much!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I find 28 ga. Rio's at the sporting courses, I pick them up. For free, they're worth it! I usually get 3 reloads out of them (MEC 9000) before the crimp area splits, etc. Some actually are still good enough for a final loading for grouse/woodcock hunting where my semi-auto often flips them out to unknown places. Just cannot do that with a new AA case! I check the crimp area on the hunting loads and push the crummier ones in the chamber, better ones in the magazine.

BTW, Kemen's usually only last for 2 loadings. And I bought AA 28's last year with the rebate. No need to actually buy Rio's and the like for hulls.

BB

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Have 5K of the Win. which I use for clay shooting. Recently was given 500 1F Fed. 28ga. they are loaded up and will be my shells for preserve hunts this fall. Will shoot them once and throw them in the trash bin when the hunt is over. I have found nothing that even comes close to the Win. for multi-firings.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I'll reload Rio 28 ga if I get them for free. I load no more than three times, and the third time I may start getting failure to fire in the lower barrel of my Citori with Briley Revolution tubes. I use the Remington PT 28 wad, Hodgdon Longshot powder, and Nobel Sports primers. Look to data for the Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls when reloading the Rio.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Brother, I should probably know (or be able to figure this out) but, what do you use to hold the hull down on the drill press platform, after the final crimp die has done its job and you want to raise the die?

I'm finding the hull comes up with the die and is a #*+"! To get out!

The system works great -- except I need to fashion faux shell plate to allow the die to be pulled off the hull.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
23,822 Posts
thor_sen said:
Brother, I should probably know (or be able to figure this out) but, what do you use to hold the hull down on the drill press platform, after the final crimp die has done its job and you want to raise the die?

I'm finding the hull comes up with the die and is a #*+"! To get out!

The system works great -- except I need to fashion faux shell plate to allow the die to be pulled off the hull.

Thanks in advance!
If you devise a clamp that is too thick, cut back the die. It should work if it is only going down on the last 1/2-3/4" of the shell.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
the hulls we have in the uk are mainly paralell tube and cheddite or fiocchi etc.

reloading is not popular here.

so the manufacturers have made the crap-est hulls they can get away with.
some are so thin, they nearly burn through. if you hold them up to the light they really thin.

the consensus is reload once and then ditch them. most reload twice, then cut the crimp off then roll turn the last loading.

http://www.siarm.com/index.php?cPath=2_ ... 6a368888c0

due to the un availability of 28gauge ammo here, reloading makes more sense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.