Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a 28 gauge perform upland bird hunting. I'll am thinking of purchasing one, and currantly hunt a 20 gauge Rugar Red Label. The 28 gauge Silver Pigeon Beretta is lighter and easier to carry up those canyons after Chukar.

G

·
It would be fine using winchester Hi-brass 1oz 6's but I use a sweet sixteen and love it but you'll be fine with the 28 and the Hi-Brass
I LOVE CHUKAR HUNTING (though a pain in the a$$)
just my two cents

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just purchased the Silver P. 28 ga.; mainly for dove. It's light and handles well. Believe it will be fine for you and you will enjoy it. Mine was used,but saw some NIB on Gun Broker in the $1250. to $1350. range.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just keep the shots close. There just isn't enought powder in the hull to still pack enough punch at long yardages. Also, it's not as important to have a large patterns as long as it is a well aimed pattern.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
One can not safely use hevi-shot in the 28 ga. There is no wad capable of protecting the bore from hevi-shot or steel for that matter. At this time bismuth is the only non-toxic available in the 28 ga. The 28 ga will be a good upland gun for chukar sized birds as long as the shots are roughly 35 yards or less. Any further and the pattern starts to loose adequate density. Also stick with the 3/4 oz loads, the Federal Premiums are likely the best factory load at this timethough the B&P field loads are as good, just hard to find. Otherwise, the higher end factory 3/4 oz. shells like the Remington Express, Winchester Super-X, etc. will be adequate.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm not trying to be a smart*$# or anything,but why all the advice on "high power" shells? I shoot an older 20ga.SxS, very light[5lbs2oz.] and even standard game loads make it kick like a mule. To save wear and tear on both me and the gun, I've found some 2 1/2" shells,1oz.,#6, that put out only 8100 psi., but at a velocity of 1250 fps.Isn't it the velocity,partially influenced by shot size,that would effect range? It's my understanding that most of your more popular loads produce about the same velocities,with approximately 1/3 more pressure. This,in my mind,adds up to more kick same impact. However,I've had trouble finding published info giving exact specs on these more popular shells.My "ballpark"info. comes from guys that are further into this aspect of the sport than myself, and may be performing their own testing. I guess my real questions are;What kind of velocities are these high brass/high power shells putting out? Where would I find that info.? How long a shot does one expect to make while hunting chukar?,and what velocities are required for shots of that distance?
BTW,these low pressure loads aren't terribly expensive,$4.50-$6.00 a box.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Actually, speed squared times the mass equals recoil. The faster the velocity and/or heavier the shot charge, the more recoil. Pressure has no place in the equation. Pressure may have an effect on subjective recoil, that is, how an individual perceives recoil. Again, some will think it kicks alot, some won't. Most 2 1/2 dram, 1 oz 20 ga loads travel at 1165 fps, 2 3/4 dram at 1200-1220 fps. The 28 ga loads suggested are movign at 1250-1290 for the 3/4 oz and 1125 fps for the 1 oz. Velocities of common shotshells can be found in the manufaturer's literature or there are charts in all major reloading manuals. Shot size has the greater effect on range, speed has a point of diminishing return. At about the 40 yard mark the velocities and energies of equal size pellets moving as much as a 150 fps difference pretty much equal out. That is due to the aerodynamics of a sphere (or should I say lack thereof). My hunting loads are mostly in the area of 1250 fps. It is mainly what I have had the most success based confidance in and is a managable balance between power and recoil. With the appropriate size pellet, choke, for the game and range, I feel this velocity is capable bring down the quarry out to 45 plus yards.
A question back to you Jim, what brand and loading are you shooting in your 20 ga? I have not heard of one that low of psi in 20. I have some friends that also have light English game guns and they would be interested in these loads.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Uglydog,
Kent/Gamebore. The Kent site lists several of their low pressure load stats,including the one I specifically mentioned.I also have some of the same with a 7/8 oz. load of 7 shot,I think I remember reading that these produce rearer to 7000psi.,which would make sense,but I can't recall where.I order the Kent loads from Galazan's however,they generally have a better selection and price than Kent,go figure. I've also run across some promising stuff at ARMUSA;a 2 1/2",7/8oz.,#8 that is listed as producing approx. 5300psi. I'll be trying those as soon as they get some more in stock.
These low pressure loads do kick less,at least concerning felt recoil.I believe it's because they use slower burning powders.you get more of a gentle push than a sharp stab if you follow me. If you shoot my little 20 with standard,low priced,game or target loads,it feels as though somebody whacked your shoulder with a 2x4.I shouldered incorrectly one day,took the recoil right above the bicep.My arm went numb,I got nauseated,and couldn't shoot anymore that day.I haven't had that problem since switching to the lower pressure loads.
My 20ga.was made in Belgium,1926,so I feel I'm shooting more what the gun was designed for with these as well.
At any rate, I wasn't aware that some reloading sites list common manufacturer's pressures.I had been trying the manufacturer's sites and not getting anywhere.Could you offer some suggestions?
Back to the original topic. I guess my question has been answered.Why would I want or need to beat myself and my gun up any more than necessary when I can safely and morally take the same shot without doing so?We,as Americans,tend to want higher power and more bang.Oftentimes the end result is only more noise,and bird puree' rather than one that is just as dead but in much better shape for the table.Just my opinion.
Jim

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Jim,
You asked for factory velocities, not pressures. For factory pressures, one would have to get that from them. I haven't been able to find the pressure info on the Kent/Gamebore site, was it there you found it? I find it difficult to believe that pressures can be that low in the 20 ga and still have that velocity. No published load in a manual comes close though I know reloaders do not have access to all powders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts