Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
473 Posts
A 28 makes a great dove and quail gun and yes, ammo is expensive and hard to find. For those birds I would recommend Winchester AA Super Sports in 7 1/2s. They can be ordered on line or usually can be found at big shops like Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. The average small gun shop, Walmart or KMart probably won't carry them.

Reloading "greatly" reduces your ammo cost in 28ga and 410.... that is if you shoot enough to warrant buying the equipment. I load 9s for skeet, 8s for sporting and usually buy a couple of flats of the hotter 7 1/2s for doves/quail. Winchester also sells 1oz loads in #6 and #5 for pheasants.

The 28 is my favorite gauge.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Ditto what Hardnose said. 28 ga is a fabulous game and target gun, well balanced and easy on the shoulder. I reload to keep ammo costs down, but prices for Estate and other non-Remington/Winchester 28 ga shells are quite palatable.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The 28 seems to be very popular with quail hunters. There are quite a few guys on this forum that have mentioned hunting doves with the 28 also. I have a cheap little Stoeger Uplander (26" mod/IC) and like it for rabbits and squirrels. I usually stick with a 20 gauge for doves, but then they've always been my nemesis. When I bought the Stoeger 7 or 8 years ago, I also bought two cases of shells: Remington Express 3/4oz #6, and Super-X 3/4oz #7 1/2. When Winchester introduced the 1oz load for the 28, I got a case of those. I'm still working my way through that 750 rounds of ammo. The 28 shells are a bit more expensive than the larger gauges, but if you are only hunting and not shooting skeet or clays it's sustainable for all but the most destitute. You might not be able to find shells at Walmart, but most larger sporting goods chains have them. You can also order them online. I recently order a couple boxes of Fioochi 7/8oz #6 nickel plated from Ballistic Products and they turned out to be the best patterning load ever in the modified barrel of my gun. Reloading it is fun, though I've only found one load that patterns as well as the factory loads, and that was a Federal hull (3/4oz #6copperplate @1330fps). If you like to reload, the possibilities are endless (and fun).

We don't have many bobwhites left here in East Texas, but I may give doves a whirl next year. I find the light weight of the gun and almost total absence of recoil to be a joy. If you are a half-decent shot and it's not too windy, I'd say it would get you a limit on doves. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry that my post is redundant--hardnose and Mark beat me to the punch. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Actually I have found 28 gauge shells (AA's and Federals) regularly stocked in Walmarts in both Phoenix and Flagstaff, so I imagine that other they can also be found in a number of their other locations. The price was a little high but rather reasonable.

I don't buy factory, rather load my own and there the 28 gauge is a little less expensive to load due to the reduced amount of shot. Red Duster wads cost the same between the gauges and primers cost the same. The initial cost of the cartridge to obtain the case will be a little more.

For quail and dove the 3/4 ounce loads work fine, but I like the larger shot size (just switched to #7) for quail. I wasn't getting clean kills with #8's with that amount of shot.

The lighter weight of the gun and ammuniton is what I appreciate the most in the field.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Well, the 28 works very well with target loads of 8s for quail. And the Win. 1-oz. loads pattern VERY well in my shotgun, so I use them in place of my 20 with appropriate shot sizes for pheasants and grouse later in the season.

I have converted into a 28 gauge fan!!

BobK

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked our Walmart.....12ga & 20 ga shells for 4.98....no 28ga shells.....a quick check on line ....looks like about 7.00 for 28 ga. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
784 Posts
The last time I looked at them a few weeks ago they were right around $6.40 for the Winchester AA's at Walmart in Flagstaff, didn't check the price in Phoenix but I remember it was around that.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Everyone has a personal favorite. I now own a Beretta SP II Combo and use the 28 ga bbl for upland(mostly quail) and 20 ga for doves. Lordy,I sure do love that little 28 ga. It is cheap to reload for and I like to use #8 on quail.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not very good at on-line shopping. Can someone give me one or two specfic sites that sell 28 ga shells. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love my .28 ga for quail and doves. ammo can be expensive. I have found it at Wal-Mart. If I'm going to keep shooting it, I will start reloading. And I don't have any plans to give it up.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
A flat of AAs or STSs (10 boxes) run a little over $60 at the local reloading shop. Estates are cheaper, but not as reloadable as the AA-HS shells.

BobK

·
Registered
448 Posts
Estate is owned by Federal or is a subsidiary anyway. I've used Estate shells and they work about as well as anything else I've shot. They don't seem to reload as well in my set-up as other hulls do so I don't normally buy them or scavenge empties from the bin at my club.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Try http://www.claycartridge.com/Default.asp They have 28 gauge shells with 5% antimony for $48 a flat plus shipping, which you can calculate before you finalize the sale. Excellent service. Buy a bunch and get free shipping to a business address. The shells are spanish made to the US owner Joe Cantey's specification. I ordered on one afternoon and was delivered within 24 hours to southwest Georgia.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The Estate shells are a good shell if you aren't going to reload them, about as cheap as anything you can find. Non corrosive.

If you are going to reload, I'd recommend the Winchester AA HS shells over anything else. They cost more to buy to start with, but they will last the longest, 10-12 reloadings easily.

I can buy the 28 ga. AA HS's at Wallyworld here for $6.37 a box. The Estates run about $5.90 a box.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"28 gauge shells with 5% antimony" ...............from Albanygun.......I do not know the significance of 5% antimony. Does that mean the shot is 95% lead and 5% antimony? Pros & cons? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts