Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing Davidson's web site this morning and I noticed that some of the 28 ga. Red Labels were designated as 3 inch chambered guns.....others were not.

Have any of you guys heard of a 28 ga. shotshell being currently produced?

Or was this a mistake on Davidson's part..... 8)

·
Registered
11,073 Posts
Well, with today's "mentality", I wouldn't be surprised.

The ol' 3/4 oz. loads work well for their intended purpose, and recoil is mild.

Start stoking those loads up, and performance goes to pot, and recoil goes WAY up!

Sorry, I don't need that!

BobK

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
FullandFuller said:
I expect it was a typographical error.
I would agree.Have seen some European 28 gauge shotguns advertised as having 3 inch chambers.

In years past 28 gauge shotshells were available in 2 7/8 inch,just an eighth of an inch shy of 3 inches.I have a 28 gauge shotgun that shoots the 2 7/8 inch shell and is so marked on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course if we ever have to go to steel shot for all hunting or for skeet, that extra 1/4" might come in handy......what?

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
This is sort of off topic.

I have a Purdey 28ga X 4" double rifle. It was made in 1889 and originally proofed for black powder loaded in an all brass case with a soft crimped round ball. It was later,1932, proofed for nitro. The gun weighs over 8 pounds and will set a big man back when it is fired. It makes a wicked pig gun, though.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I picked up a 28ga. fired hull at the range last week. Thought it looked a bit long, so compared it to a fired 12ga hull.
The 28 was about 3/8" longer than the 2 3/4" 12ga hull.

go figure.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^

I took one of those out of my 870 28 ga. the last time I shot it.

What happened was that the brass seperated from the plastic when extraction occured and that made it too long for ejection.

Perhaps the one you picked up was mine? :shock:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
code5coupe said:
If it was, that 870 ejects its empties a L-O-N-G way! :lol:
Indeed!

Actually it didn't eject at all, I had to pick it out with my fingers, but I did throw it in a westerly direction.....

:shock:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
redhawk44 said:
^

What happened was that the brass seperated from the plastic when extraction occured and that made it too long for ejection.
The last runs of the old style AA's in 28 Ga have done this to me maybe a half dozen times now!

It seems the compression formed body loses its grip from the brass and moves forward and an overly long hull is born...

I have had the old type AA's in .410 "shoot" the plastic out the barrel leaving only the brass base in the gun as well....

Slidehammer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts