Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally going to drop my 12 and 20 ga loads down to 3/4 oz. but am having trouble finding load data. I had Case's 12 ga load written down but misplaced it. Any help on some recipes would be greatly appreciated.

12 ga.

AA hulls or Rem Premiers
Fiocchi 616 primers
Promo powder
I would like around 1200 fps
How many gr's of Promo and whats the best wad?

20 ga.
AA hulls(old style)
Fiocchi 616 primer
Alliant 20/28 or Hodgdon Universal powder
1200 fps
gr's and best wad?

I am starting to run low on lead and am looking forward to using these light loads. Will be shooting out of Win 101's so no cycling problems.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Use any 7/8 oz or 24 gram load data and you'll be set to go. I find the more bulky and fast the powder the better. I don't load many, just a few for my wimpy friends, but find REX-0 to be just the checker. The DR-X series wad is the best I've found so far.

BP

·
Registered
7,159 Posts

12 GAUGE PROMO LITE
HULL: AAHS, any Remington; Federals and imports* (*Different wads required)
SHOT WEIGHT: 3/4 oz.
SHOT SIZE: No. 8, 8-1/2 or 9 (Actual average dropped, 315 gr.) (Larger shot will reduce pellet count and performance somewhat.)
POWDER: 16.9 gr. Alliant Promo
MEC POWDER BUSHING: No. 29 (Verify that)
PRIMER: Fiocchi 616 (209), NobelSport, PMC, RIO, Wolf, W209, STS209.
WADS: AAHS, ANY REMINGTON HULL - CB0178-12, Downrange XXL Pink, Gray AA12L; FEDERAL, IMPORT HULL - CB2100-12, Downrange XXL Orange, Fed. 12S0. Those wads satisfy dimensions required for good crimps with the least dishing (almost none) because their shot cup floors are higher from the base edge than other wads. Wads for the straight-walled Federals and imports are also fatter.
~
Average Velocity: 1204
High Velocity: 1221
Low Velocity: 1180
Extreme Spread: 41
Standard Deviation: 16
Pressure: Approximately 8,000 psi

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Case and Burnt Powder:

Thanks for the info. I have tried loading 20 AA's with CB 1078-20 wads(Is there a better wad for this load?). After lots of adjustments and some fowl language, my crimps are starting to look a lot better. Still a tad bit of dishing but got rid of the hole in the crimp.

Don't know how they are going to shoot but I sure like how slow that darn shot bottle empies.

I'll let ya'll know if I can hit anything with them.

Thanks again,

Kirk

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Kirk D said:
I have tried loading 20 AA's with CB 1078-20 wads(Is there a better wad for this load?).
The best wad for it is the current OEM WAA20, which has been updated slightly from the older version, whose clone you're using.

The shot cup floor of the newer wad is higher from the bottom edge of the base and requires almost no press adjustment with 3/4 or even 11/16 oz. payloads.

My regular skeet load uses 11/16 oz. and works great.

Problem is, those Winchester wads cost $95 a case or more.

The next best clone is the Orange Duster, but I'm not sure how it would work with the 11/16 oz. payload, since I'm still using the WAA20 wads.

An excellent combination is 3/4 oz. in the 12 gauge and 11/16 oz. in the 20. Both save greatly on shot.

Considering the shot savings, excellent crimps and lack of hassle, you're probably better off just paying the ridiculous price for those current Winchester WAA20 wads.

Still a tad bit of dishing but got rid of the hole in the crimp.
Some dishing is normal with either of the 12 or 20 loads, but it's virtually unnoticeable in the 20 using the WAA20 wad.

Don't know how they are going to shoot but I sure like how slow that darn shot bottle empies.
You'll never notice the difference in those light loads and what you've been shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.