Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what kind of pressures a 3.5" 12GA shell produces? I expect it is "quite" a bit more than the standard 2-3/4" shell.

Reason I ask is that I have a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag that will shoot 3.5" shells. Some shells I was recently given (2-3/4") were loaded for sporting clays at 1350+fps approx. Supposedly quite hot. I would hate to exert heavy pressures on my BT-99, or my Win 101, but thought the Mossberg might handle them with no problems..might be good for meat shoots from the back fence..

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The 3-1/2 inch 12 gauge operates at 14,000 psi. The 2-3/4 and 3 inch 12 gauge operates at 11,500 psi.

Suggest you check into the specific load on those shells you were given. It is quite possible to obtain 1350+ fps with pressures well within the 11,500 psi of the more or less standard 12 gauge.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply OK. :D

I realised after I posted, that I may be able to get some pressures shown with load data for the 3.5" shells, which I was. Your correct that 14000psi seems to be acceptable for the 3.5" shells. Hodgdon lists some at 13,900psi. True as well that the 1350fps load dosen't necessarily mean they are in the dangerous pressure range.

I pulled a couple apart and some have 19.2 grs of Reddot, 1oz of lead, CB1100-12 wads, and a primer that looks like a win209, that has a black sealer over the flashhole. (never seen that before) The others I pulled apart have a powder I can't ID for sure, although it looks like Dupont 7625, with the 1oz lead, CB wad, and an all brass primer I can't ID. Too bad the guy didn't mark the box with what he loded them with..I always list my load on the boxes.

I seriously think I may be best off just to cut these shells up and salvage some components, ...just something about other peoples reloads that worry me.. :roll:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts