Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you have all seen this a thousand time but I fairly new to shotguns my only experience is from the military. I'm big on rifles and pistols but need help here. I looked into some like the 1301, FN SLP, MK3, Versa Max, one guy suggested that I start with a hunting gun like the SBEII.

I would appreciate links to other threads also.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I think you should start with whatever Housebroom you have around the house.

"Housebroom" - Home Defense shotgun, normally legal-short-barreled, usually a pump or semi-auto, Plain-Jane or customized.

Only go hunting for a "3-gun-competition-shotgun" once you have some idea of exactly what you want, and why.
"Serious" competitors wind up in various autoloaders, 10+1/11+1 land, with all kinds of mods so you can feed 2 shells at a time (deeply "relieved" receivers) into the magazine and so forth.

3gunshotgun-dot-com(no hyphens, and the 'dot', is of course, a '.'

My main 'toy' is a turkish clone of a Benelli M3 Convertible I picked up in Turkey in 2002.
I also enjoy using dad's Rem. 11R, which, at the moment, is bone stock.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I keep pump shotguns for home defense (HD). I shoot 3gun with my HD and carry guns. I compete to get run and gun time with my HD tools. This competition with my basic tools gives me insight to what I would buy if I wanted to get "serious" about 3gun as a game. At this point 3gun it is more for fun and not a serious hobby.

I second the idea of using what you have. If you do not yet have a shotgun then a basic pump would be a good inexpensive start to see if you really liked the game. If the game was not your thing then you would have a good start for a dedicated HD shotgun.

To me the Remington 870 is king and budget models are a good value. Mossberg 500 models are another option with some features that improve on the 870 but others that are not so good. I have both in the house since they complement each other so well.

If you really want to start off with semi autos then Remington and Mossberg have good starter models there as well.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I do what Foto does,,, my Home/Self Defense tools are what go 3-gunning.

Yes, it lets me practice with my Oh Drat!!! equipment, which far too few people really do.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yeah, I'm another dinosaur/marketing-prescribed "heretic".
I run 3G with a 1911, 870, and an AK. Ain't gonna win Top Score but it serves as monthly practice FOR WHAT I USE/COUNT ON DAILY TO PROTECT MY OWN...
That's the point: make it work for YOU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts